Wednesday, November 01, 2023

What To Do Next (Decisions, Decisions!)

With the first of my two table runners done and off the loom, it's time to plan my next project. Originally, this was going to be a second table runner, this one for my daughter. Somehow, I decided that her's would be in crackle weave, which became a research project in itself. 

As I've worked my way through understanding the various elements of crackle (threading, tie-up, manners of weaving, etc.), it seems like the next logical step is to start weaving samples to add some hands-on experience to my newly acquired head knowledge. And I have the perfect book for that.

This is The Crackle Weave by Mary E. Snyder. It was written as a study course for weavers interested in learning more about crackle. It's set up as a series of lessons and projects, complete with worksheets, aiming to explore the multitude of possibilities with the crackle weave. 

There are two editions of this book. The 1961 edition is 56 pages and contains 42 weaving projects. The 1989 edition is longer. It has some 90 projects and 130-something pages. Both are out of print, although I think one of them has recently been re-published; not sure which one. Mine is the 1961 edition, one of the several old weaving books I either inherited when I bought one of my looms or purchased at a guild fundraising sale. 

Some weave structures are easy to explore on one's own, but as I mentioned earlier, there's a lot to wrap one's head around with crackle. Working through a guided study seems like an excellent next project.

On the other hand, gift-giving season is fast approaching, and I need to get started on that second table runner. I've already chosen a crackle pattern from Marguerite Porter Davison's A Handweaver's Pattern Book, so it would just be a matter of following it. I think that would be the best way to go for now, to make sure I get it done on time. Later, I can come back and work my way through Snyder's study course. At least, that's my plan.

Is anyone else currently debating their next project?

2 comments:

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

The cover looks like it is old. I am excited simply based on that fact.

Leigh said...

TB, it's probably close to 60 years old. The especially neat thing is that it was autographed by the author. Like you, I love old books anyway, but old technical books and manuals are some of the best sources of information. They're one way to preserve knowledge that might otherwise be lost.