Friday, November 03, 2023

An Alternative To 10/2

Last time, I shared that my next project is going to be a second table runner, this one in crackle. I already had a pattern weft picked out and in looking at warp and background weft possibilities, I was thinking 10/2 in navy blue. But alas, my only cone of navy in that size is pretty scant, so I started hunting around online for more. 

In doing that, I made a discovery which is likely won't surprise most folks but is potentially helpful for me. And that is that 10/2 cotton and #10 crochet cotton are the same size. I came across this tidbit during an internet hunt for 10/2 cotton, as I have very little of the color I want. One mega site was listing 10/2 as size 10 crochet thread. Well, I'd never heard that before and so checked the size of both on my measuring stick. 

Both counted out as 34 wraps per inch.

Two questions immediately popped into my mind: which is easier to find and what's the difference in price? Crochet cottons are sold at local hobby supply shops and big box department stores like WalMart. Weaving yarns are sold at weaving supply shops, and I'm fortunate to have one in the area. I prefer to buy locally and prefer the smaller businesses, if possible. After that, it's ordering online. 

One thing I discovered, is that my area weaving store doesn't carry 10/2 in navy blue. The closest is something similar to royal blue, sold in 200 gram cones with 1854 yards per cone. $20 per cone. 

Of crochet cotton, WalMart doesn't carry navy blue in size 10. In fact, they don't carry any blue in size 10. It seems like black, white, neutral, and red are the only offerings. So I visited Hobby Lobby. While I didn't find navy blue, I found the lovely blue you see on the left in the photo above. $4 for 400 yards. A yardage equivalent to the cone of 10/2 would price it at $18.54 for the same amount.

Online, it looks like 10/2 ranges from $33 to $42 per pound (4200 yards), and I found the 200 gram cone I can buy in town, but for $26. None of that includes shipping, so that's an additional cost. Crochet cotton purchased online typically runs somewhere around $6.50 for 350 yards, plus shipping. 

For sampling, I bought one of the #10s from Hobby Lobby. How's it weaving?

"Scandinavian Favorite" treadling #1 from A Handweaver's Pattern Book,
Warp and tabby weft are size 10 crochet cotton, pattern weft is 5/2 cotton.

Pretty good! And I have to say the royal blue background with the green pattern is growing on me. But I'm also going to do some sampling with my 8/2 navy, just to compare. 

Related Post

 

7 comments:

Valerie said...

Two things you will notice about the crochet cotton:
It has a harder twist than the 10/2 weaving cotton.
And the ply twist is a z-twist rather than the s-twist of the weaving yarn.

I haven't woven with crochet cotton, but I have used tatting cotton in the warp. Tatting cotton has the same twist characteristics as crochet cotton. The project I used if for was turned overshot table runners. It worked well for that end use, but wouldn't make a very good towel or garment fabric because of the stiffness and lack of drape.

Interesting experiment.

Leigh said...

Good information, Valerie, thank you. I just finished a crackle sampler with it, that I think turned out well. It's a firm fabric, that will be good for the table I have planned. Of course, crackle is considered an upholstery type weave anyway. I'm also going to try a sample with 8/2 weaving cotton, to compare. It is fun to experiment!

Valerie said...

Firm is good for table runners. I don't like runners or placemats that "walk" all over the table :)

Goatldi said...

Fun! One never knows what road to go down until it happens. I would love to have table runners but the cat crew see one as a blatant invite to get on the table. Which has never been allowed. However the intrigue to nap on a ready made bed seems hard to resist.

Leigh said...

Valerie, I didn't think about fabric firmness with my first table runner and seeing the difference with just this sample is driving the lesson home. Funny, that I read the descriptions about suitable uses for various weave structures, but it doesn't really register until I weave them for myself.

Goatldi, ha! Cats are a situation all in themselves. I lost my butter dish when one of ours couldn't resist playing tug-of-war with the table cloth.

Valerie said...

Well those descriptions are mostly suggestions. Susan Wilson has woven some lovely crackle scarves.

Leigh said...

Valerie, she did indeed. I'm looking forward to working with the structure and figuring some of this out for myself.