Tuesday, November 07, 2023

Table Runner 2: Analyzing My Samples

I wove two samples. Both had the same pattern weft but different warp and background (tabby) weft and different setts. I'm primarily interested in comparing the warp and tabby yarns in terms of yarn size and color. The pattern is "Scandinavian Favorite" from Marguerite Porter Davison's A Handweaver's Pattern Book.

Color is the most striking difference!

Top: 5/2 pattern weft, #10 blue crochet cotton tabby weft and warp.
Bottom: 5/2 pattern weft, 10/2 navy weaving yarn tabby and warp.

I was fully expecting to prefer the navy background, but this particular navy is almost black and, I think, too dark. I think I'd be much happier with it if it were a different shade of navy. 

Both samples have the same number of warp ends, but the royal blue is set at 24 ends per inch, while the navy is set at 20 e.p.i. You can see that this makes a difference in both the width of the pieces and the size of the motifs!

Color observations:
  • The brighter blue really makes the pattern pop.
  • The navy blue is the same one that you can see on the right in the first photo in this post, where it doesn't look as dark. It's interesting how the perception of a color changes when other factors are involved.
  • I chose the light green pattern weft because it matches my daughter's decor.

Close-ups:

Treadling I

Treadling II

Treadling III

Treadling III is the same motif as treadling I, except that the opposite shafts are lifted to create an inverted design. I experimented with this for treadling II as well. 


Fortunately, I don't have to decide which one I like best, because this particular pattern weaves one on the one side, and the other on the other. So, it's reversible.


Treadling IV

Initially, I was thinking treadling IV would look like Celtic crosses. But now, I'm thinking they look more like trees.


Scandinavian Favorite is often adapted for ecclesiastical weaving. Since my daughter and her husband are trained classical musicians who participate in their church's music ministry, I thought a liturgical theme would be appropriate. So I used the rest of the warp for experimenting. 


Weaving notes:

  • Yarn (warp and tabby weft)
    • Visually comparing the two blues side by side, the #10 royal and the 8/2 navy look the same in size.
    • I chose to experiment with two different sizes to see how the affected the pattern weft, thinking the smaller yarn would feature the pattern more predominantly. It didn't make a difference.
    • The crochet thread has more twist in the plys, while the weaving yarn has a looser twist. The extra twist makes it a firmer yarn and hence a firmer fabric.
    • The crochet thread is mercerized and so shinier than the 8/2 unmercerized thread
  • I made a sleying error, which I left because it was close to the center and I didn't want to re-sley the rest. So it's there if you look closely.
  • Sett makes a difference in the density of the cloth.
    • 24 e.p.i makes a firmer fabric than 20 e.p.i.
    • The looser sett makes it easier to "squish the square." In other words, the pattern yarn packs down more with each beat because there's more space between the warp ends.

Conclusion:

I'm going to go with the brighter blue #10 crochet thread, the firmer 24 e.p.i sett, and the cross motif in the last photo. 

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Lovely work, Leigh.
I like the royal blue sampler and think it would make an interesting runner with all of the motifs in bands. I would probably put the cross motifs at the ends and leave the other three in the center in their current order.

Looks like you are having fun. I'm enjoying vicariously as this week I have other work to accomplish that precludes weaving.

Leigh said...

Valerie, thank you! For both the compliment and also for confirming what I was thinking about the arrangement of the crosses.

Yes, it is a lot of fun! Hopefully, I'll get some good weaving time in this week.