Friday, June 20, 2014

Draperies for the Bedroom

If you follow my homestead blog, then you know we've been working on a bedroom remodel. Most of it was done last fall and winter, spring and summer being the time for outdoor projects. At long last, we're finally down to the finishing touches. After shopping around for draperies, I decided to make my own. I found the fabric at Hobby Lobby.

I found drapery fabric to match the carpet we bought. Story on that here.

Then I found the perfect drapery DIY at 7 Layer Studio. I modified it somewhat, and am very happy with the results.My sewing machine is on the fritz, but no matter, I love handsewing and this was quick.

The gold thimble is one of my treasures. It
belonged to my great-grandmother, an avid quilter.

The grosgrain ribbon loops was a quick, clever idea, I thought. I only made them half as long as the directions.

The result is a very nice natural gather.

I also liked the idea of pinning the hem while the drape is hanging.

Because I had estimated the amount of fabric before we put up the rods, I decided I was a little short on length and needed to somehow lengthen the drapes while still getting a nice 4" hem. To accomplish that I sewed on a strip of lining fabric.

A faux hem made by adding a strip of lining fabric.

That way I had the weight of a 4" hem for the draperies to hang properly.

And there they are. I'm happy with them. The only things left to finish the bedroom are the carpet (what you see is padding on the floor in the photo above) and the door. Then it's done!

Sunday, March 16, 2014