Saturday, November 11, 2023

Table Runner 2: Weaving Begun, How That Blue Yarn Is Working Out, & A Problem

Weaving just begun.


The green is working well with my new choice of blue.


So what's the problem? The pattern is not balanced at the edges. In the first photo, you can see that the right side pattern isn't the same as the left side. It's not symmetrical and that bothers me.  

Shouldn't I have caught that with my samples? Yes, except(!), I either miscalculated or misremembered the number of warp ends in the pattern. It has 58 ends, but I used 38 in my warp calculations. I knew something was wrong when I threaded the warp, but it was just a sample, after all. And the samples turned out with the pattern the same on both sides, so i didn't give it another thought. Now, it's glaring at me and it bothers me. 

Eek. What am I going to do? I can just say, "oh well" and weave on. Maybe no one will notice? Or, I can unweave it and remove enough warp threads on the left side to balance the pattern. The unweaving wouldn't be too bad, but before I could remove that section of the warp, I'd have to undo part of the hemstitching with all its tight little knots. Do I really want to do that? 

The question before me is, am I willing to do the work to correct it, or can I live with it as it is? That's what I have to decide.

What would you do?

2 comments:

Valerie said...

I would fix it because it would bother me the whole time I was weaving it. How much loom waste do you have? Is it enough that you could just cut off the extra repeat in the warp, hemstitch, and start again?

Unweaving is time consuming and demoralizing. I've done it, but only when absolutely necessary. Doing it on a table loom would be even more arduous.

Another alternative would be to measure and add threads on the left, weighting them separately. I've done that as well. There will always be problems with tension with that approach.

The colors and pattern are lovely. You'll do what works best for you. Weave on!

Leigh said...

Valerie, you're right, I couldn't live with it! I hadn't woven much so I unwove it, cut off the extra warp and fixed the hemstitch. I didn't think about adding to the width, but I can see how that would cause tension problem. So far it seems to have worked out! Pictures tomorrow.