Monday, November 27, 2023

Busy Hands, Listening Mind

I'm not very good at multitasking. Not in general, anyway, and especially not when concentration is required. My family has learned not to talk at me when I'm cooking, because I inevitably do things like forget ingredients, forget to stir the pot, or because it otherwise delays the meal while I attempt to pay attention and respond.

Even so, fiber arts activities tend to be rhythmic in nature. Knitting, spinning, crocheting, and weaving occupy one's hands, and unless it's a complicated pattern that requires counting or concentration, they allow for things like conversation, watching a movie, or listening. It was due to my return to weaving that I discovered that my local library does not have a terribly impressive selection of CD audiobooks. It appears that downloadable books are what's popular now. 

One evening, I searched for free online audiobooks, and I discovered LibriVox. LibriVox is a website of human recorded books (as opposed to computer read books, which I find difficult to listen to.) These books are in the public domain, i.e. mostly written before 1923 for which copyrights have expired. It's a huge collection of well over 18,500 recordings of all genres. Everything is recorded by volunteers. Books can be listened to online or downloaded from either the LibriVox website, or from the Internet Archive. It's a fantastic resource!

Right now, I'm listening on my computer, but it would be nice to have something portable. The last such device I had, was back when walkmans were popular, which I don't think are even around any more. If someone can pass on some suggestions for a listening device, I'd appreciate it.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

For the last couple years, I've been listening near-constantly to books, which I check out from my local library system through Libby, an app on my iPhone. I have AirPods so I can talk and text hands-free, and I use those listen to books, too. Now if I don't have a book going, I feel a bit lost!

Leigh said...

Michelle, I'm guessing that smart phones are what most people use nowadays, which I don't have!

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

How interesting, Leigh! Thanks for the information.

Sadly, I am not aware of anything to listen on that is not either a computer or a smart phone. I will listen to either for periods of time during the day.

Leigh said...

TB, it's possible that with the popularity of smart phones, no one uses anything else. Lots of interesting books on that site! Lots of classics.

diane said...

It's possible to use a smart phone without the phone function being activated. I have an old one i use for music/audiobooks/podcasts/radio(!) when i'm gardening. Probably someone you know has an old one around, or you can find one on craigslist or ebay.

Leigh said...

Diane, I'll have to look into that, thanks!