Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Crackle Weave: Tie-Up

I'm currently using a table loom, so I have no treadles to tie up. With each shaft permanently attached to a single lever, I have what is known as a direct tie-up loom. These use a liftplan, and I have to manually lift the required shafts with their levers. Because crackle is a twill derivative, a standard 2/2 twill tie-up is typically used, so my liftplans will follow that sequence. 

1 - 2
2 - 3
3 - 4
1 - 4

Also, plain (tabby) weave for two treadles.

1 - 3
2 - 4

Rising versus sinking shed looms

I mention this because Davison's A Handweaver's Pattern Book drafts patterns for a sinking shed loom. I plan to use her book, but my table loom has a rising shed. (That just means that when the levers are engaged or treadles are pressed, the designated shafts are lifted. With a sinking shed loom, the designated shafts are pulled down. Both create a shed, i.e. opening though which to pass the shuttle, but the pattern may not appear on top of the fabric. It may appear on the bottom!)

So for Davison's patterns, the answer is to tie up the opposite of what the draft shows. (Unless one doesn't mind the pattern being on the underside!)

I confess that I have done projects in the past where I had to use a mirror to see how the pattern was progressing. Not ideal, so it's better to address it in the tie-up.

 

2 comments:

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

Great way to adapt and overcome, Leigh.

Leigh said...

TB, we do what we gotta do. :)