Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Table Runner 1: Samples 2

After the first set of samples, I wanted to explore two things.

  1. Sett
    • For the first samples, the sett was 20 ends per inch.
    • For this set of samples, the sett was 24 EPI.
  2. Color
    • I kept the same colors, but wondered if the first samples were on the dark side. For these, I swapped the dark gray and white, so that these are lighter.
Changing the sett meant changing the number of warp threads I needed. At 5-inches wide, the first samples had 100 warp ends. The second samples, at 5-inches wide, had 120. That meant adding another warp stripe.

The Samples

Mug Rug #4

Alternates weft emphasis with warp emphasis twill.
  • weft emphasis a.k.a 1/3 twill, i.e. the weft passes under 1 warp thread and over 3.
  • warp emphasis a.k.a. 3/1 twill, i.e. the weft passes under 3 warp ends and over 1.
Blatant threading errors! While a visual distraction, they don't interfere with
 what I want to find out. In fact, this would make a nice design feature in
another project. Which just goes to show that even mistakes can be inspiring.

You don't see it in the picture, but the weft emphasis stripes add a very nice texture to the sample.

Mug Rug #5

Is a balanced or 2/2 twill, i.e. the weft passes under two and over two.


The turquoise is more dominant, which I like, except for this project I want it as an accent, like it is in my daughter-in-law's home. 

Mug Rug #6

Same as #5 except I swapped the turquoise and light gray colors in the weft.


It's interesting how switching colors changes the personality of the piece. I followed the same draft in all these mug rugs. They are different because I'm simply progressing in the treadling as I weave each one, but there is a definite difference in how I perceive them. The increase in white makes them feel more casual to me.

Observations
  • Sett. 24 EPI is definitely a better choice. The 20 EPI worked for the twill dishtowels, which needed a softer hand, but for a table runner, I like the firmer fabric produced by the 24 EPI. 
  • Color. The second samples are nice, but the colors in the first samples have more zing. I think #5 or #6 above would make great shirt fabric, but a table runner is supposed to be an eye catcher, so the darker colors let the bright turquoise and occasional white pop out. And, I think, better suit my son and daughter-in-law's contemporary decor. 
Conclusion. I'm going to go with the darker colors, balanced twill, and 24 EPI. 

The chosen one, lol. Samples 1, Mug Rug #3

Everything else is going to be tucked away for future projects.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I really like these lighter ones. I thought the second one was my favorite (maybe it still is), but the white/gray 'stripes' in the last one are really eye-catching!

Leigh said...

Michelle, I definitely want to do something with the lighter fabric, likely weave some yardage. I'd love to sew something with it. Maybe after Christmas!

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

It is a really good colour combination. I do like both 4 and 5.

Leigh said...

TB, it's interesting how changing the balance of the various colors impacts the overall impression. Lots of possibilities with just the same colors.