Sunday, October 01, 2023

Keeping Track of Things We've Done

When I first dug out this blog from beneath the depths of reverted draft posts, I looked through the posts to republish them, and was surprised at how much I'd forgotten. Of the projects, I'd think, "Oh! I remember that." Of the technical aspect, I'd think, "Oh! I used to know that?" (Some of it I'm still waiting to remember, although I may just have to relearn it.) But also, I have things I wove or knitted prior to starting this blog, things that I don't seem to have a record of, other than the object itself. I still have a box of old notebooks to go through, so hopefully project details are recorded somewhere. I know some of my records and many photographs were lost with inevitable computer deaths. 

I suppose one question that could be asked is, how important is it to keep such a record? To some, the answer may be not at all. Or maybe for a seller, just a record of sales. To an analytical person like myself, it's very important because it's hardwired into my personality. That was why I started this journal in the first place. Now, coming back to the fiber arts so many years later, it's importance is all the more clear. It's a record of information that's useful to me. 

Years later, I'm realizing two things. One is that I haven't been very consistent. The second is that things are still difficult to find. That second reason in why I created a project gallery blog years ago. Yes, it showcases my projects, but it also helps me find the particulars about something I have in mind (ha! assuming I recorded said particulars. I'm trying to do a better job.)  

Anyway, I recently pulled out my fiber gallery blog, dusted it off, updated it, and am adding it to the link bar at the top of my blog.

Leigh's Fiber Gallery

Back to  my questions. Do you keep a record of your projects? How? Photos? Notebooks? Blog? Do you have suggestions for organizing them? Feedback welcome.


© 2023 by Leigh at Leigh's Fiber Journal

12 comments:

R's Rue said...

I keep a specific notebook for each task.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

Since relearning how to knit and then learning how to spin came after I started blogging, I guess my blog is my earliest place I recorded anything (not a lot). After I joined Ravelry, I've gotten better at recording project details since it is made for that.

Leigh said...

Regine, thank you so much for visiting my fiber blog and taking the time to comment! As much as I use the computer, I definitely like notebooks. They don't disappear when the computer crashes. :o I am trying to do better with my notebook recording.

Michelle, I hadn't even thought about Ravelry. I have an account there, but rarely visit and have never thought about using it to record projects. I'll have to take a look at that!

CM said...

I will jot things down on a calendar, but I don't have an organized way of keeping it track-- photos are definitely a good idea! I do like writing down what I enjoyed or didn't about the project. That makes it feel more personal when I look back on it later.

Valerie said...

I do a couple of things.
I keep a thumb drive with weaving drafts, creating a folder for the year, then sub-folders for each project or area of study. So there is a chronological order to the files.
Because I use Fiberworks PCW software, there is a project details page that includes the weaving details: yarns, sett, shrinkage, etc.

For some projects I do complete a Ravelry page like this one https://www.ravelry.com/projects/vmusselm/ts-blankie
But I'm not all that consistent in doing that.

But the thumb drive exists separately from the computer, which seems to be where you have lost things.

Leigh said...

CM, a calendar is a very good idea because it introduces another element to record keeping. I try to date my notebook entries (and the blog automatically dates things), but now I'm thinking I should add a calendar to my notebook. Maybe put both in a three ring binder. Thanks!

Leigh said...

Valerie, you were posting as I was composing. :)

I really like the idea of a thumb drive divided by years and specific projects or studies. I'm going crazy collecting ideas at the moment, and that would help tremendously. (And yes, the thumb drive would be excellent back up!)

And another nod for Ravelry. Thank you so much for the link. (I had to dust off my user name and password, which is a good thing!). This is something else that looks really helpful. I get it about being consistent, though. Sometimes it's a chore to go online and input everything. Not as quick and easy as jotting it down in a notebook. But the information on Ravelry is organized beautifully, which counts for a lot.

Valerie said...

FWIW I do keep a physical notebook, but only for completed projects. For the notebook I print the records page from Fiberworks, plus a sample of the fabric, and a photo of the finished item.

The thumb drive is for all the experimental drafts and thought experiments. If I were to keep a paper notebook of those, it would become unwieldy very quickly. But if there's folder for the topic on the thumb drive I can see the evolution of my thoughts.

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

I love your fiber gallery........so many wonderful works of art you have made! Yes, I keep journals for almost everything. I have a garden journal where I note what grows well in which area and I keep the tags of the flowers and press one or two between pages of a book if they do well. I place these with the tags that go with them. I print photos of what grows and place them in the journal book. I have a stich journal....full of ideas, materials used and photos, with the same type of procedure and so on. When a journal gets quite full, I wrap it in paper and store it in a box in my closet. I label what is wrapped in the paper for future reference. I love to go back and look at progress made and at how things have changed.

Leigh said...

Valerie, it sounds like you've worked out a good system. I can definitely borrow some ideas from you. Fabric samples and copies of drafts would definitely be helpful.

Yesteryear Embroideries, welcome! Thank you so much for your kind words. I see the benefit of careful journaling and record keeping. Thanks for sharing. I need to up my record keeping game. :)

CM said...

Pinterest can also be a good place for saving project photos and getting ideas. I've only ever used it to save ideas that other people have posted, but you can also upload your own photos and notes and keep them public or private. I definitely admire people who can keep their samples and notes organized at home, though!

Leigh said...

CM, I just recently started re-visiting Pinterest, but I never thought to use it that way. But it would definitely be good for keeping project photos!