Saturday, October 14, 2023

Table Runner 1: Project Planning

This is going to be the first of two table runners I'm weaving for Christmas gifts. Sample making is done, so now it's time to plan out the specifics. The next step was to decide on a finished size, but table runner sizes are arbitrary, so I couldn't decide. Then I found a conversation on Ravelry about that very thing. The advice was good, so for this one, I decided on a finished size of 15 inches by 28 inches. My daughter-in-law's dining table is about 5 feet long, so that will allow for place settings at either end.

Yarns

8/2 cottons in the colors shown
Design

Fibonacci stripes in a basic twill and reverse. Here's the sample:

Sample #3
Here's the draft:

Click for a better look-see
  • This is the basic unit for the colors, threading, and lift plan (160 warp ends and 153 weft picks). They will repeat for the full length and width of the project.
  • I'm starting and ending with light gray warp stripes to give a sense of balance. My DIL's dining table is black, so I think the light gray will contrast to help the table runner stand out.
  • Right now I'm thinking hem, rather than fringes.
Sett

24 EPI (based on my samples)

Warp Calculations

Length
project length: 28"
+ hem: 3"
+ 10% take-up: 3"
+ 10% shrinkage: 3"
+ loom waste: 20 "
= 57" warp = 1 yard 21 inches

Width
project width: 15"
+ draw-in (1-2"): 1"
+ 10% shrinkage: 1.5"
= 17.5" width on the loom
x 24 EPI
= 420 warp ends

I'm going to adjust this because I want full width light gray warp stripes on the sides. That means I have to add a few more warp threads to complete the stripe. So,

Total warp ends needed: 424

Weft Calculations

None. I rarely do weft calculations, unless I'm running out of the yarn I want to use, then I'll calculate how much I'll need to make sure I have enough.

I think that about covers it. I'm ready to make a start.  

 

2 comments:

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

I am amazed by the amount of work that goes into the preparation for this. And to think this was likely all done in peoples' heads once upon a time.

Leigh said...

TB, I think it depends on the project. When weaving for others, I'm guessing many of us take more care in the planning out if we want the recipient to be happy with it. I do a lot of weaving, though, prompted with only inspiration. Like the dishtowels, it's just weave and see (which is a lot of fun).