Wednesday, September 20, 2023

It's a Wrap! The Twill Gamp Dishtowels Are Done

My three dishtowels are off the loom, wet finished, and hemmed. I have to say that this was a great first project for my return to weaving. I learned that a gamp is definitely an interesting way to explore possibilities. I can see why weavers can spend months weaving them. I'd say gamps are the very best in sampling options. It's fascinating to see the patterns revealed pick by pick, how the colors interact, and be able to compare the different patterns side by side. 

Here are some close-ups of each of the towels.

Towel #1: Same color for both warp and weft gave let me see the textures.

Towel #2: Different color weft was good to see color interactions.

Towel #3: Overshot manner gave a completely different look to it.

Finishing them off, I realized the impact of having them in hand. When I look at a photograph of handwoven fabric, I see it. When I hold the actual fabric, I experience it. Does that make sense?

Notes and Observations

  • I knew the draw-in for the various twill samples would vary, but it's acceptable.
  • The draw-in for the overshot fashion towel was consistent for the length of the towel, however.
  • Even though my favorite is the towel woven in overshot fashion, overshot is not something I am drawn to exploring. It doesn't spark my interest.
  • I experimented trying to get the squares square, but I failed, I fear. With towel #1, I tried to weave each weft section a quarter inch longer than the square width. The other two, I made the same number of weft picks (threads) as warp ends (threads). My observation is that the different patterns react differently in their draw-in, take-up, and shrinkage.
  • All the obvious random warp tension issues seemed to work themselves out with wet finishing.
  • Hemming. I need to weave more between the towels for hemming, from now on.
I really like several of the individual woven samples in the towels. I'll get pics of them and make a draft for each, to file away for future projects.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

They are beautiful, and I'll bet will be so satisfying to use!

Leigh said...

Michelle, thank you! There is something profoundly satisfying about using the work of one's hands. :)

CM said...

They seem too pretty to use! Could you keep them for display? The weight also seems great for a light blanket, if you end up making more samples and can piece them together.

Leigh said...

CM, ha! I've thought the same thing about using them for display. Two of them, though, will likely become gifts. The last I may put on my wall. Gamps are a fantastic way to explore and record a multitude of weave possibilities.

I hadn't thought about a blanket, but you're correct that they are a good weight for that. Piecing them together quilt fashion is a great idea (and perfect for table loom projects).

CM said...

The gifts are a great idea. There were a couple of samplers hanging in my house growing up that a relative made, and seeing them every day made them part of "home." As a really little kid, I also liked looking at the different patterns.

Leigh said...

CM, that's a good point about exposing children to the beauty of handcrafted work. I know my great-grandmother's quilts and quilting inspired me in the beginning.