My three dishtowels are off the loom, wet finished, and hemmed. I have to say that this was a great first project for my return to weaving. I learned that a gamp is definitely an interesting way to explore possibilities. I can see why weavers can spend months weaving them. I'd say gamps are the very best in sampling options. It's fascinating to see the patterns revealed pick by pick, how the colors interact, and be able to compare the different patterns side by side.
Here are some close-ups of each of the towels.
|Towel #1: Same color for both warp and weft gave let me see the textures.|
|Towel #2: Different color weft was good to see color interactions.|
|Towel #3: Overshot manner gave a completely different look to it.|
Finishing them off, I realized the impact of having them in hand. When I look at a photograph of handwoven fabric, I see it. When I hold the actual fabric, I experience it. Does that make sense?
Notes and Observations
- I knew the draw-in for the various twill samples would vary, but it's acceptable.
- The draw-in for the overshot fashion towel was consistent for the length of the towel, however.
- Even though my favorite is the towel woven in overshot fashion, overshot is not something I am drawn to exploring. It doesn't spark my interest.
- I experimented trying to get the squares square, but I failed, I fear. With towel #1, I tried to weave each weft section a quarter inch longer than the square width. The other two, I made the same number of weft picks (threads) as warp ends (threads). My observation is that the different patterns react differently in their draw-in, take-up, and shrinkage.
- All the obvious random warp tension issues seemed to work themselves out with wet finishing.
- Hemming. I need to weave more between the towels for hemming, from now on.