Friday, September 08, 2023

Weaving Software That Runs on WINE: DB-WEAVE (Revisited)

Years ago, I blogged about a couple of Windows weaving programs that can run on Linux with WINE. WINE is a program that creates a sandbox with conditions favorable to Windows, so that many Windows programs will run in it happily. Many won't, but it's worth a try to see what happens. 

Two of the programs I tried back then were DB-Weave and WeaveDesign. That was several computers ago, so I recently downloaded both programs to this computer and, with my table loom in mind, took a look at each of them again. To run WINE, I used PlayOnLinux. PlayOnLinux is a user friendly graphical interface for WINE (there's also PlayOnMac for Mac users.)

I'm looking for four things in weaving software:
  • Liftplan option for table looms
  • Can export WIF files
  • Can print drafts
  • can convert tie-up to liftplan

DB-Weave is geared toward dobby looms so it offers a pegplan option rather than a liftplan. It will run in WINE, although I found that the desktop icon took me to its folder where I had to select the exe file to run it. 

Opening DB-WEAVE

I took a lot of screenshots previously (which you can see here), so in this post, I'll just focus on the things I mentioned above.

I started with the new draft option, selected pegplan, and just doodled to see what it would do.

Pegplan will obviously work as a liftplan!

However, when I unchecked the pegplan mode, 


It removed the pegplan, but there was no option for tie-up and treadling. 

When I imported a WIF file. . .

. . . it gave me the treading, tie-up, and treadling, but not the drawdown and original color palette. Nor did it give me the name of the file. There may be a way to show these, but I couldn't figure it out.

It will export and print WIF files.

It also has a computer interface option for dobby looms, which I didn't look at.

While it does more than WeaveDreamer, I didn't find DB-WEAVE to be terribly intuitive. I had to refer back to my 2008 review to figure some things out. (If you click that last link, you'll see a lot of screenshots.) Between that and the way it imports WIF files, it isn't a program I'll use. 

It may do better on a Windows computer! And it's free, so it might be an option for a weaver on a budget.

DB_WEAVE can be downloaded here.
PDF User Guide with installation instructions is here

No comments: