Thursday, September 07, 2023

Twill Gamp Weaving 4

Weaving Notes and Observations

  • As grateful as I am to have my table loom, I can't get a weaving rhythm going. With treadles, the whole body is involved and the hands are freer to get rhythmic throwing of the shuttle. Having to change the levers for every pick doesn't lend itself to that.
  • I'm not entirely happy with the tension as I advance the warp. But now that I have a raddle, I can try warping back to front on my next project. 
  • I need to start thinking differently about color. I tend to think of colors as individual entities and influence their relationship by placement. But the effect in weaving leans more to color blending. That's something different.
  • I need to come up with a way to keep track of where I am in the liftplan. I make mistakes because I get "lost." Or get interrupted and don't mark where I left off. Any suggestions?
Here's my weaving progress since the last time.

Weft section 4, warp emphasis treadling (II 43 A to II 45 C) from Bress.

As I wove that section, I started thinking about the pebble weave I was intrigued with. I decided to use that treadling for the next section, to see what it did with the other threadings. Several caught my eye.

Pebble Weave on broken twill, point twill, and rosepath, cut and pasted to compare.
Click for a larger view.

Here's the entire weft section.

5th weft section treadled with Marguerite Porter Davison's Pebble Weave. (VIII)

And that kept me going with more treadling patterns from A Handweaver's Pattern Book.

Weft section 6, Swiss Twill (XXIII)

Weft section 7, "Tweel for Pillow Cases or Bed Ticking" (XIX)

In that section, I especially like this one . . .

Treadled on broken twill threading.
Next,

Weft section 8, cord weave (VI)

Eight sections plus blue borders puts my total length at about 23 inches. That will make the finished dishtowel shorter than my projected 24 inches, but I'm okay with that. 

Now to decide what I'm going to do on the last twill gamp dishtowel.

Twill Gamp Weaving 4 © Sept 2023

Related posts:

2 comments:

SUE BASSETT said...

I put my treadling pattern in a page protector and use a pointed piece of painter's tape (the blue kind) to mark where I leave off when I use my table loom. The tape stays in place but is easily moved when necessary.

Leigh said...

Sue, that's a great idea. Thanks. Sounds like just what I need.