Friday, August 11, 2023

Planning a Color Play with Pebble Weave

With my sampler nearing the end of its warp, I find myself contemplating what to do next. I think it's time for a project! Nothing terribly challenging, because even though I'm resuming my weaving life comfortably, I still need review and practice. So. One of the table loom samples that has caught my interest is pebble weave. 

From Marguerite Porter Davison's A Handweaver's Pattern Book.

It's easy to weave on the table loom and visually offers some interesting things to think about. It makes me want to experiment with things like

  • the optical illusion of texture
  • color blending

What I'd really like to weave is a gamp with sections of shade gradations of color. Nothing terribly large; maybe a dishtowel or a scarf?

The mental wheels are turning, so I check my stash.


I have two cubbys filled with size 8/2 cotton, but I don't have the color choices to create a chromatic gradient. Well, what about my 10/2s?


Hmm. Closer, but not quite what I have in mind. It seems that after bragging to my husband that I have enough yarn to last a lifetime, I've got a problem! And you know what that means,don't you?

LOL! Can anybody relate?

I'm not even sure where to find weaving yarns online for a good price any more. Any suggestions? I browse the online shops and discover that prices have really jumped since the last time I ordered anything. Between that and my decreased income, I may have to put on my thinking cap and see what I can come up with from what I have. 

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Check ebay and Ravelry destashes.

Merna said...

Buy dyes instead, less expensive, and overdye!

Leigh said...

Michelle, I didn't even know there was such a thing as destashes. Great idea, thanks!

Merna, that's definitely an idea to consider! I have a collection of dyes. I'd just have to get them out and dust them off.

Valerie said...

Cotton has gone up in price a lot since you were weaving regularly. Connect with guilds and watch for weaver's estate sales. They may show up on some social media sites.
Also, some of my nicest kitchen towels are 8/2 warp & 10/2 weft.
Don't be afraid to combine them.

Leigh said...

Valerie, good to hear from you! A lot of my yarn came from sales like that, which is why it's so mix-and-match.

That's a great idea about combining 8/2 and 10/2. I've never tried that, but am really glad for the tip. That will definitely give me more options.

Do you no longer blog? I didn't see a link on your profile.

Valerie said...

No, I gave up blogging awhile ago. For me it was taking up time that I'd rather spend on other things. I'm still avidly weaving, knitting, and spinning though. I try to remember to post projects on Ravelry.

Leigh said...

I'm sorry to hear that because I learned a lot from you. But yes, blogging takes a lot of time. That said, I'm so glad I just took this blog offline but kept it in draft mode. It's been extremely helpful as a review tool.

I'm glad to hear you're still at it! I recently looked up my old password to Ravelry, so I'll have to become familiar with the site again.