Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Sampler Off the Loom

I've woven my sampler to the end of the warp and taken it off the loom. I zig-zag stitched its edges and  washed it.

Hand washed in cold water and Dawn dish washing detergent. Cold water rinse.

After rolling the excess moisture out in a towel, I laid it flat to take measurements. In looking it over, I can see that I improved with practice! My weft beating and selvedges became more consistent and I made fewer mistakes. There's still a lot of room for improvement, but I definitely made progress.

First 7 samples with mistakes and wonky selvedges!

Last 6 samples; much more consistent and even.

At first I was just going to line dry it. But I've been thinking about dish towels and thought, 'how many people line dry dishtowels?' I use my clothes line all the time when the weather's cooperative. But hand towels make good gifts, and how many people are able to line dry everything? I decided to dry the sampler in my clothes dryer to check for further shrinkage. 

Sample particulars:
  • Yarns:
    • warp - 8/2 cotton
    • tabby weft - 8/2 cotton
    • pattern weft - 3/2 cotton
  • reed: 10 dents per inch
  • Sett: 20 EPI
  • Sley: 2 ends per dent
  • Total ends: 120
  • Width in reed: 6 inches
  • Threading: straight draw (plain twill)
  • Woven width on loom: 5 - 5.25" (depending on sample)
  • Woven length on loom (per sample): 3 - 3.25"
  • Wet finishing - cold water hand wash (with Dawn) and hot machine dry
  • Washed width (still damp): 4.75 - 5 inches
  • Washed length, per sample (still damp): 3 - 3.25"
  • Finished width after machine drying: 4.75 - 5 inches
  • Finished length (per sample) after machine drying: 2.75 - 3"

Observations:
  • I'm happy with the yarns and sett.
  • I like the fabric's hand after washing and drying.
  • I lost width with washing.
  • I lost length with machine drying.
  • The turquoise weft on the white warp was diluted both the color and the pattern.
  • The turquoise weft on the blue warp offered good contrast to make the pattern stand out.
  • The purplish pattern weft was the opposite; good contrast on the white but visually obscured on the blue.
  • Even though I didn't especially care for the white and dark warp stripes, they were useful to show how color differences between warp and weft interact. 

Samples after washing and drying:

Here's the pebble weave I blogged about here:

Sample #6, pebble weave

And here are a few more. The links go to their original on-loom posts:

Sample #3, vertical herringbone

Sample #7, waffle weave treadling

Sample #8, overshot

Sample #10, warp emphasis twill

Sample #12, broken twill

Sample #14, Monk's belt

The next step is to plan my project. More on that soon.

No comments: