Sunday, August 13, 2023

Table Loom Sampler: Third Set of Samples

Sample 11

II 343 A (Basket Weave on Twill) from
Helene Bress's The Weaving Book

Until this sample, I didn't consider adding floating selvedges for twill warp floats because this is only a sampler. Basket weave, however, calls for two weft picks in each shed. The treadling looks like this:

1-2
1-2
3-4
3-4
repeat

I could see myself pulling the thread out when I sent the shuttle back the other way, so I decided it would be prudent to add floating selvedges.

I used t-pins to anchor add-on warp ends for floating selvedges.

Film canisters filled with coins to weight the floating selvedges.

With a table loom, there's not much hanging room for the warp weights, unless I turn the loom to hang them off the back side of the table. Either that, or I'll just have to unwind them frequently.

I think basket weave would be fun to weave with painted or variegated yarn.

Sample 12

II 93 A (Broken Twill Treadling) from Helene Bress's The Weaving Book.

I have to say that I'm really beginning to appreciate these small repeated patterns. I'm thinking fabric for garments. Subtle color choices for yarns could add a rich depth to the fabric.

Lever lift sequence
1-2
1-4
2-3
3-4
repeat

Sample 13

Novelty Twill from Marguerite
 Porter Davison's A Handweaver's Pattern Book.


Lever lift sequence
4
3
4
3
2
1
4
3
2
1
2
1
4
3
2
1

The treadling sequence is a bit long, but the pattern made it fairly easy to keep track of.

Sample 14

II 359 A (Monk's Belt Effect) from Helene Bress's The Weaving Book

I've never woven Monk's Belt before, but will definitely come back to explore it soon.

Lever lift sequence
1-2 x6
3-4 x4
1-2 x6
3-4 x2
1-2 x2
3-4 x2
1-2 x2
3-4 x2
use tabby

Sample 15

Horizontal Stripes from Marguerite Porter
Davison's A Handweaver's Pattern Book

Lever lift sequence
4
3
2
1
2-3-4
1-3-4
1-2-4
1-2-3
repeat

And that's the end of the warp. 

The next step is to get the sampler off the loom and wash it. I'll take measurements before and after. From that, I'll have a better idea about my yarn and sett choice, plus how to plan using these next. 

When I started out with this little exercise, I lamented that the warp was so long because I wasn't sure what I'd do with it (all two yards of it!). But discovering how much variety I can weave on a simple twill threading has been fascinating. I could have easily kept going! Plus, it caused me to weave things I probably never would have chosen for a project by simply browsing photos in a book. Add to that getting used to a new loom plus some improvement in my beat consistency and selvedges. I feel ready to move onto a project.

6 comments:

Valerie said...

Looks like you are having fun!

Leigh said...

Valerie, I am! The best part is remembering how much I love weaving; how it's so much a part of who I am and how I express myself. It's a relief to be back at the loom once again.

Michelle said...

Oh, I like ALL of these, except 12. It's just me; I don't like the look of the warp showing through so strongly. I've been told I'm to be gifted an old student loom, so I'm paying closer attention to posts like yours!

Leigh said...

Michelle, how exciting! That's a wonderful gift and will open up a whole new world for your fabulous Shetland handspun.

There are so many different weave structures that I think it would take a very long time to explore them all. What I appreciate about samplers is a chance to see what I like and what I don't like. Washing them will make a difference in how they look. It will be fun to see what we think then.

Goatldi said...

I really like sample 11. Between the color sequence and the weft pattern the combination really gives a three dimensional effect.

Leigh said...

Goatldi, I'm intrigued with that one too. One of these days I'm going to experiment with it.