Monday, August 07, 2023

Tablet Weaving: Skip Hole Ladoga

This one was introduced as a more challenging version of the threaded-in Ladoga pattern. Considering that Ladoga was only my second tablet woven band, I wasn't sure I was ready for something more challenging. But I have to go to the library to run off copies of the next Weave Along With Elewys lessons, so I gave this one a go in the meantime.

The Ladoga band I made previously is actually an adaptation of the original extant band discovered at the archaeological digs. The adaptation consists of 48 threads. The original Ladoga band, however, was woven on twelve four-hold tablets but only contains 27 threads! And that points to the skip-hole technique, where some of the holes in the tablets aren't threaded, but skipped. These are notated as blank spaces in the pattern. 

The Pattern

Credit: Lady Elewys of Finchingefeld
The accompanying video is here.

Yarn

Artiste #8 Crochet Cotton
I used the same colors as I did for my first Ladoga band, but switched the border and pattern colors.

My Band

Skip hole Ladoga

Top: threaded in Ladoga (front)
Bottom: skip hole Ladoga (front)

Top: threaded in Ladoga (back)
Bottom: skip hole Ladoga (back)
???????????

What I Learned
  • Yes, this was more challenging to weave, but not in the way I expected! I thought I might have difficulty with the shed, but the real difficulty was with the cards. Having four threads in each card stabilizes their position in the pack. With some holes skipped, the cards wanted to turn, so it was challenging to keep them all aligned. 

Without support from the other threads, the cards
with only two threads twisted out of alignment.

After struggling with it for awhile, I hit upon the idea to
use an elastic ponytail holder to hold the pack in place.

When the cards needed to be turned in different directions,
I bundled each group separately. It made weaving a lot easier.

  • One thing about the Ladoga pattern, is that it's easy to tell when to change the direction of turning the tablets from the pattern. So counting isn't strictly necessary.
  • Even though the pattern called for 12 cards, fewer threads meant a narrower band.

No comments: