Thursday, August 31, 2023

Twill Gamp Weaving 2

Twill gamp dishtowel (1st of 3).

I finished the first towel last night.

Weaving Notes & Observations:
  • I'm still experimenting with beating the weft, and have been firming up my beat. The beater bar, being small, isn't terribly heavy, so it's up to me to supply the right amount of force. That's a little trickier than just letting the weight of the beater do it.
  • I seem to get the most consistent results if I apply a second beat after I change the shed.
  • Color mixing observations (warp and weft) are as with my sampler, i.e. the weave structures are featured best with good color contrast.
  • Same color warp and weft creates interesting texture in the fabric. I find myself wondering how to explore it. One idea I'd like to try is a fine variegated thread, perhaps for blouse-weight yardage.
  • I also find myself wondering how some of these would look with different size yarns. Much larger yarn, for example, or much smaller. How would it effect the pattern? How would that affect the appeal of the fabric? 
  • The twill zigzags (which have always intrigued me) in some of the woven squares only appear with the straight twill threading.
  • My squares aren't going to be square.
  • I need to fix the drive band on my bobbin winder.
  • I need a taller weaving stool.
Here are the next weft sections. The color is inconsistent depending on the time of day I took the photo and whether or not I used the flash. The codes correspond to Helene Bress's The Weaving BookClick for close-ups. Warp threading is here.

4th is a warp emphasis twill with plain weave. (II 70 A to II 73 D)

5th section is a variable twill treadling. (II 30 A to II 33 D)

6th is a miscellaneous treadling from The Weaving Book(II 144 A to II 147 D).

7th section is straight twill order (II 9 A to II 12 D).
There's a treadling error in this section. Can you spot it? 

8th is a warp emphasis twill without plain weave. (II 70 A to II 73 D)

Current woven length is about 25 inches. I'll finish up with a couple of inches of plain weave and start on the next one.


Related posts:

No comments: