Monday, August 28, 2023

Twill Gamp Weaving 1


Weaving has commenced on my dishtowels. The warp sections are threaded (from the left):
dark turquoise - point twill
light turquoise - rosepath
yellow - broken twill
dark turquoise - straight twill
light turquoise - point twill
yellow - rosepath
dark turquoise - broken twill

You can see the threading patterns here.

The first three weft sections are complete. The codes in parenthesis are those in The Weaving Book. I'm including them for future reference. If you click on the images you'll get larger close-ups. 

First is a twill and reverse treadling order. (II 14 A to II 17 D)

Second section is a broken twill treadling. (II 93 A to II 96 D)

Another twill and reverse, repeating twice before changing direction. (II 24 A to II 27 D)

I'm having a little trouble with the tension (I always did, warping front-to-back). I wonder if it's because I didn't use a 2-stick header, having used all my sticks as warp separators. 

I've woven about ten inches so far and am still working out the squares. After wet finishing my sampler, I had more shrinkage warp-wise, so I'm making the squares just a tad taller than their width. Hopefully, that's the right decision.  

2 comments:

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

This is super fascinating Leigh (and also something I know zero about). Thanks for posting!

Leigh said...

TB, thank you for reading and commenting! Weaving is wonderfully analytical, mathematical, and intellectually stimulating. And all with an aesthetic reward!