Sunday, September 03, 2023

Twill Gamp Weaving 3

In the comments of my Evolution of a Project post, Michelle suggested swapping the dark green yarn for the blue. That lead to wondering about color play if I did a complete color swap for the weft yarns. 

a change-up of weft colors

The dark green weft made a lovely contrast.

The other two colors, not so much, as you'll see below.

Weaving Notes & Observations
  • I'm concentrating more on making my squares square, so I'm counting picks to be the same as the warp, 48 x 48.
  • If the towels shrink at the same rate as the sampler did, then they probably still won't be square.
  • Except that 48 weft picks measures a little more than 48 warp ends. 
  • Using the same color weft as warp on the first dishtowel seemed logical, but somehow I like the greater variety of colors in this one.
  • The nice thing about weaving a dishtowel for learning, practicing, experimenting, or sampling is, in the end, a usable product is produced regardless of errors and mistakes.

Here are the first three sections with the new weft colors. Click to enlarge.

1st weft section is a straight twill treadling (II 9 A to II 12 D)

2nd weft section - twill & reverse treadling (II 18 A - II 21 D)

3rd section is weft emphasis treadling with tabby. (II 74 A to II 77 D)

2 comments:

Michelle said...

That rust color did NOT play nicely!

My friend who has been asking me if I want a loom is picking them up today. Two student looms without maker's marks that she has seen, and I am getting one of them. Gulp. I don't have time for another hobby, especially one with (what looks to me like) a steep learning curve!

Leigh said...

Michelle, I'm so excited for you! Yes, a steep learning curve, but it is so worth it!