Sunday, April 07, 2024

Weaving On Opposites

One of the things that interested me about variation H of Mary Meigs Atwater's "Cottage Windows" pattern, was that it is woven "on opposites." Being one of the many concepts I forgot during my long hiatus from weaving, I did a little research when I learned it was one of the crackle manners of weaving. I jotted down a definition for my crackle manners of weaving blog post, but found myself thinking more about it as I wove a my Cottage Windows table runner, and researching more. What I realized, is that there are some variations on how "on opposites" is interpreted. 

In some sources, opposites refers to pattern blocks. As, for example, Harriet Tidball's diagram of Cottage Windows. It's treadled . . .

Treadling pattern is in the right-hand column. 

One pattern block is treadled with shafts 2-3 for so many weft shots, and then treadled 1-2 for so many weft shots. The second block is treadled with the opposite shafts 4-1 and 3-4. With this treadling, tabby must be used, or as you can see by studying the treadling sequence, the common shaft in 2-3 and 1-2 (shaft 2) would always be lifted and create a long warp float over the top of the fabric. Ditto for shaft 4 in the 4-1 and 3-4 sequence. Tabby is needed to tie these down to the fabric.

The second definition defines opposites as alternate sheds, using contrasting colors for the wefts. One weft shot of shafts 1-2 is alternated with 3-4. Tabby weft is optional, but said to make a more stable fabric.

My Cottage Windows table runner is an example of the first definition, opposite pattern blocks. One of these days I'm going to have to rustle up a pattern using the other definition, opposite sheds. It will be fun to experiment.


Related posts:

No comments: