Friday, March 08, 2024

Crackle On Opposites

While I'm working on collecting more t-shirts for my bathroom rag rug, I've been thinking about something to work on in the meantime. I found this idea in Harriet Tidball's The Weaver's Book . . .


. . . and was inspired to try to work out a draft in my weaving software. I couldn't make it work for beans. I started looking through my other crackle weave resources, and eventually found a PDF I'd previously downloaded of Practical Weaving Suggestions, Vol. V, No. 2, "Notes on 'Crackle Weave'" by Mary M. Atwater. (Available here.) It's a variation on her well-known "Cottage Windows" draft. 

Click to enlarge

It is woven "on opposites," which refers to the treadling. The pattern uses opposite sets of treadles for the different blocks. In the above example, the first section is woven with treadles 2 - 3 and 1 - 2. The next section is treadled 1 - 4 (the opposite of 2 - 3) and 3 - 4 (the opposite of 1 - 2). I haven't woven crackle on opposites yet, so I'm looking forward to getting this going. It will be another one to add to my "Crackle Weave: Manners of Weaving" page.

This one I was able to create on WeaveDreamer

Click to enlarge

It looks squatty, doesn't it? That's because I made it showing pattern weft only, i.e without tabby wefts. It will be woven with tabby shots, so the motif will look taller and more square on the fabric. 

My plan is to make several dishtowels; yarns and colors to be decided on next. 

Crackle On Opposites © March 2024

Related posts:

4 comments:

DVArtist said...

Wow you are so clever. What an endeaver and you conquered it. I want to thank you for adding Dan's blog to FFO. He is amazing. At first I though it was Conte' then I did some reading and found it is burning. WOW!! Both of you are so very talented. Have a wonderful day.

Leigh said...

Nicole! Thank you so much for visiting our blogs and taking the time to comment. It means a lot! Especially from someone as talented as yourself. :)

Meg said...

So, this draft looks promising. I do look forward to seeing the finished towels.

Leigh said...

Meg, it's funny, but I don't really care much for modern music or art. But I really like Atwater's modernistic weaving drafts. This one has so many possibilities. I'm excited to get started.