Sunday, March 10, 2024

I'm Stuck in a Color Rut

I ended my last blog post by mentioning that yarn and color selection for my crackle on-opposites dishtowels was the next step. Yesterday was rainy, so I spent it arranging and rearranging cones of yarn in search of an appealing color combination. For yarn size, I'm thinking 10/2 for warp and tabby, and 10/2 doubled for pattern weft. I'm working with this motif . . .

Details for this pattern can be found here.

I'm thinking I can best achieve a consistent contrast by using darker colors for the warp and lighter colors for the pattern weft. The challenge is that I don't have a large selection of 10/2 cotton yarns, so I'm having trouble trying to figure out a good color scheme with what I've got.

The first colors I grabbed were these . . .

navy, dark green, and dark gray for warp
 royal, light turquoise and light blue for weft

As I arranged them on the table I realized that these are always the first colors I go for. I realized that they are almost always my preference. I realized I'm stuck in a color rut. 

So I selected another combination.

warp: purple and royal blue
weft: light blue and pink

Meh. I'd really like to go for three dark and three light, but I don't have much other selection than these for darker blues and purple.

Maybe this . . .

Purple plus royal and navy blue for warp
Two pinks and light blue for weft
Or . . .
Navy and wine for warp, taupe, light, and medium pink for weft

Maybe something a little bolder?

Burgundy, navy and green for warp colors.
Light blue, goldenrod, and gold for weft.

Hmm. Different for me, but I kinda like it. What about swapping out the orangey-gold for taupe?

Burgundy, navy and green for warp
Light blue, goldenrod, and taupe for weft.

Another swap . . .

Burgundy, green, and navy for warp
Light turquoise, goldenrod, and orange-gold for weft

That's pretty much the extent of my 10/2s stash, and I'm still undecided. I guess the question is, how daring do I want to be?


Related posts:
 

6 comments:

Michelle said...

When I realized I also tend to gravitate to certain color families and tried to 'branch out,' I didn't like the results as much. We do all have color preferences; I've chosen to embrace mine! (Unless I'm making a gift; then I use the colors that person prefers if different than my preferences.)

Leigh said...

Michelle, color could become a weaver's trademark; it's wonderfully subjective and a matter of personal preference. I'm always drawn to cool colors, but sometimes I try to challenge myself. Like now! :)

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

When in doubt, I always default to purple anything.

Leigh said...

LOL. Purple is always good. I wish I had more variety to go with it. I seem to have quite a few pinks, which I claim to like, but I reach for them about as often as I reach for orange (i.e. rarely).

Goatldi said...

Well it seems as if you are creating a hybrid of a quilt and weaving. I myself gravitate to anything Autumn. Browns, oranges but not bright primary effect more toned down. Creams , blues and so on. When I find myself being too repetitive I will on occasion buy a small kit for a towel or placemats with a pattern and colors that I like but wouldn't come up with on my own. For whatever the reason it seems to jump start my ability to create with patterns and/or colors that don't live in my repertoire. Sometimes it seems we just get stuck and it takes a walk on our wild side to kick the habit.

Leigh said...

Goatldi, I think that quilt-like design is why I like it! As I mentioned above to Meg, I don't care for modern painting or music, but I do like the non-traditional weaving patterns. The crackle structure really seems to open the door for that.

Funny you should mention brown, because I was really wishing I had some in 10/2. Brown has become a favorite neutral for me (or at least I treat it like a neutral). Maybe I'll have to break my no-buy rule for this one, LOL.

Great idea about the kit! I think sometimes it helps to see things through someone else's preferences. A kit would definitely do that.