Thursday, March 28, 2024

Crackle and Color

How the colors of yarns blend and mix in weaving is a fascinating study. It isn't as simple and straightforward as mixing, say, paint on a palette. In weaving, the colors of the individual threads can be detected upon close inspection, but step back, and another story reveals itself. 

The most basic structure, plain weave (tabby) is simply over one, under one, repeat. Twills are also common, typically over two, under two, repeat. I reckon next would be overshot, where the weft can shoot over a prescribed number of warp threads ("floats") to create large patterns. Then there are the "face" weaves, either warp or weft, where one or the other predominates. Each of these blends color differently. The smaller the points of color, the more quickly the eye will blend them in one's perception. So with the paint comparison, how plain weave causes colors to interact is more like pointillism. That makes weaving with various color yarns more challenging, and more interesting.

Crackle weave is especially interesting in the color department, because I can get both distinct sections (shapes) of color as the pattern, where the weft floats over three warp threads. And I get a blending of two or three colors with the "background."

Some examples:




And




I took the background color interactions into consideration when I chose my yarn colors. Tien Chiu has some wonderful articles about color blending, such as this one, Fundamentals of color in weaving: Color Mixing and the Two-Primary Rule. Very helpful.

I have a total of 75 pattern blocks in this piece, each with a different mix of my 5 warp and tabby colors and 3 pattern weft colors. I won't be able to see the overall effect until the piece is off the loom and wet finished. I'm expecting subtle color variations between the pattern blocks. For now, I have to content myself with seeing only 2 pattern sections at a time, because I must advance the warp frequently on my little table loom.

Progress: I'm currently working on weft section 7 out of 15.

4 comments:

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

That looks super neat, Leigh. The detail at that level is pretty interesting (and something I have not paid attention to before).

Leigh said...

When I first began weaving, I suddenly started to notice details of fabric construction. I could amuse myself for quite awhile trying to figure out if I could replicate it on the loom. I never actually followed up on that, but it certainly opened up some interesting observations about something we take for granted.

Meg said...

Woohoo! Can't wait to see these washed!

Leigh said...

Meg, me too!