Sunday, December 24, 2023

Crackle Bath Mat 3

While I was weaving my first two bath mats, I was thinking about a third. For this one, I decided to experiment with that variegated Peaches-n-Cream yarn

I love working with variegated yarns because they can do such interesting things when woven or knitted. In my weaving, I've both worked with trying to match the sections of color (to create a stripey ikat effect), and working with them randomly (to create a plaid effect). In my bath mat planning post, I mentioned not being able to match the color sections very well, and after that I had to think about it. 

The intrigue of crackle is how the colors interact, and I wondered if perhaps using a variegated yarn would somehow be overkill, or if the structure and the yarn colors would "fight" each other. I finally decided to use the variegated as both warp and background weft, and use red as my pattern weft. 

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? Here's how it's working out.

It's been fun to weave, although I haven't really decided yet if I like it. I just know the end result will be useful as a bath mat.

4 comments:

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

Wow. That is a lot going on, Leigh. I am not sure how I would handle the randomness of the yarn color versus the placement.

Leigh said...

TB, fortunately there's nothing for me to figure out. The yarn does it all. I only have to keep track of the treadling order. That said, I'm undecided about whether I'd repeat this experiment or not.

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

Some experiments are interesting, but not worth repeating to be sure.

Leigh said...

TB, it seems to all boil down to personal taste. In this case, the weave structure itself is a color blending tool. So the variegated yarn is probably overkill, and as you say, quite busy. The nice thing about doing the experiments on functional items for myself, is that I know it will get used in spite of itself. :)