Sunday, December 03, 2023

Of Fat Yarns and Skinny Reeds

 So far, my projects in crackle weave have been woven in traditional (overshot) manner (table runner 2 and table runner 3). It's time to have a go at different way to weave crackle. Since I still have some time before family Christmas get-togethers, I thought about a scarf for my son in one of his favorite sports team's colors.

For the yarn, I chose a low-pill acrylic, so it will be machine washable. 

I've not used these before, but I have woven scarves and blankets in regular acrylic yarns and know how easily they pill with repeated washing and drying. It doesn't take long for it to look shabby. But, I think acrylic yarns are a plus for folks not interested in hand washing and drying wool (which can also pill). Maybe the low- and anti-pill yarns are a good compromise. 

My current concern is the size of the yarn versus my loom. Specifically the reed. 


The yarn measures 10 wraps per inch. 



So for plain weave, it should be sleyed at 5 ends per inch, which would be every other dent in my 10-dent reed. That's easy enough, but the question is how the yarn fits in the spaces. Yarn is squishy so I can make it fit, but I don't want too much rubbing on the reed as the shafts are raised and lowered and the warp advanced. I don't want frayed looking yarn in a brand new scarf.

The best answer to this is to buy another reed, one with fewer dents per inch. This is extremely tempting. Already on my wishlist is a 12 dent reed, after discovering that the 2-2-3 threading for table runner 1 created lines in the plain weave where three threads were crammed into one dent. My table loom takes a 24-inch length reed, and these run around $100. This isn't an outrageous price, but enough for me to rein in my impulsiveness in deference to other financial priorities.

Anyway, I'm going to give it a go with this reed and see what happens.

4 comments:

Valerie said...

Yep, reeds are an investment. The size reeds I use most are 8, 10, & 12 dent reeds. Those numbers are good factors for about any sett I would like to use. I do have 15 dent which is handy for fine threads sett at 30 or 45 EPI, but that's not the direction you are headed in.

Leigh said...

Valerie, one of the thoughts in the back of my mind is that I can get my Glimakra set up sooner rather than later. It came with something like half-a-dozen different size reeds. I'll probably save fine yarns and lighter weight fabrics for then, when I can weave some nice width yardage. In the meantime, I'll continue to ponder investing in a few more reeds for my Rasmussen!

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

Besides learning new information, I am also gathering new words for Scrabble. This is a win/win.

Leigh said...

Scrabble! I never thought about that. You'll wow them TB!