Thursday, December 14, 2023

Bath Mats: Planning

I have two things in mind for my next weaving projects: bath mats and a bathroom rug. We need both, so the first step was deciding which to do first. These are going to be for our small master bath (although our second small kitchen bathroom needs them too). Because we have small bathrooms, both mats and rugs will be on the small side of such things.

The colors will be taken from our stained glass bathroom window.

Photo from December 2012. Blog post here.

I already have yarns suitable for some bath mats, which are Aunt Lydia's/Peaches 'n Cream cotton rug filler/crochet type yarns. 

The golden yellow would work better than the lemon yellow,
but I only have that one ball of the golden, lots of the lemon.

For the rug, I want to make a rag rug, which will require preparing the rag strips, So, I decided to start with the mats. Not sure if I should weave two or three.

I want to continue exploring crackle, so the question is which manner of weaving? I have some no-tabby twill weave samples that I'd like to explore with color, but there are new ones I'd like to try too, Also, I'm pondering if and how to use the variegated yarn. I have lots of possibilities to think about.

I confess these aren't my favorite colors, which makes it all the more challenging. I would have preferred blues and greens, but when we bought the stained glass window, that was the only color on offer. So I've just worked with it.

At any rate, with my last project finished, planning for my next project has begun.

Bath Mats: Planning © Dec 2023

Related posts

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Earlier this year I did bathmats for us. My weaving guild steered me toward the double binding technique which produced a nice, firm mat.
Here's link to Marcy Petrini's article on the subject:
https://www.marcypetrini.com/marcy-s-blogs/50-blog-010-double-binding-technique

Leigh said...

That's an interesting article. I will have to try that. Thank you Valerie!