Friday, May 10, 2024

Bathroom Rag Rug: The Hold-Up is Brown T-Shirts

As in, I need more brown t-shirts for the bathroom rag rug I have planned

I have a little over half of the brown t-shirt yarn required for the rug.

I've been plugging away at turning them into t-shirt yarn, but tt's been a slow go because they aren't that easy to come by. In thrift shops, that is. Brown t-shirts just don't seem to be all that popular. Or else, people want to keep them. Plus, I'm preferring solid colors for this project, but T-shirts in thrift shops are rarely solid colors. People mostly seem to pass on the ones with writing and logos on them. So there's a double challenge to fin enough brown t-shirts to make at least 207 yards of t-shirt yarn.

I'm still pondering the yellow t-shirts too. I have quite an array!



I bring scraps with me to compare for shade, but am finding that the lighting in the shops can be deceptive. What appears to match under fluorescent lights at the back of the store, doesn't match in daylight. Maybe I'll start with light yellow at one end and work my way to dark yellow at the other. 

So, I'm still plugging away at this. It's just taking longer than I thought it would.

2 comments:

Meg said...

I wondered... Would you considered dyeing T-shirts brown? You may even get interesting nuances depending on the original colors of the Ts???

Leigh said...

Hmm. I hadn't, actually. It might be something to think about!