Saturday, January 27, 2024

Su-Chan (Saori) Cap: Begun

This is my test cap, for sizing and fit.

Yarns:
  • Warp - Lion Brand Coboo cotton/bamboo rayon
  • Weft - poly/acrylic novelty yarn
The warp measured 12 e.p.i.  From my red plaid scarf, I knew that a sett of 50% (6 e.p.i.) would probably be too loose, so I dug out Peggy Osterkamp's Winding a Warp & Using a Paddle to review her discussion of calculating set by allowing for purpose (page 93). I decided on 65%, which was 7.8 e.p.i., rounded up, of course, to 8. That meant I got to use one of my new reeds!

The weave structure is plain weave and I made a start on it this morning.

So far, so good.

I also wanted to make a note that I'm going to refer to this project as a Su-chan cap, rather than a Saori cap. This is because I don't feel like I'm actually doing Saori weaving, just borrowing a cap design by a Saori weaver. Hence I call it by her name in her honor.

Related posts

2 comments:

Goatldi said...

All comments read and accounted for lol! Lots of fun in this one. Nice reed you have there. ;-)
All in all I learned a bit , and enjoyed it a lot. Fine entertainment for my dinner time.

Leigh said...

Goatldi, just don't spill soup on your keyboard, lol.

I'm really happy to have the new reeds! Not that I wasn't willing to make do with just the one. It's just super nice having options.