Monday, January 29, 2024

Su-chan Sample Cap Done

This is a sample cap because I wanted to test drive the pattern before investing handspun yarn on it. I was especially interested in the woven fabric size and final fit of the constructed cap.

The fabric wove up quickly. I'm listening to In the Kingdom of Ice by Hampton Sides on CD, and it's a first class "can't put it down" story. I finished the weaving before I finished the book.

Weaving notes
  • My planned finished length was 23 inches, so I wove it 25 inches to allow for take-up. 
  • On-loom width was 13 inches. 
  • My fringe on-loom was about 10+ inches.
  • I didn't hemstitch, and so had to take care with the first and last weft threads so they wouldn't unravel.

Construction

Three warp threads along one selvedge are separated out on both sides and
 pulled to gather the fabric on that edge. This becomes the back of the cap.

The fabric is folded in half lining up the two selvedges. The fringe
is braided, making sure to use threads from both sides of the cap.

My warp was a plain beige, so to make the braids more
interesting, I added strands of my novelty weft yarn.

The front selvedge of the cap is folded back and the cap is ready to wear.

Trying on for fit

The braided fringe can be worn in the back or on the side.
  • The fit was an exact fit on my head, but I didn't like the snuggness. Wool yarn would have offered more give than the yarns I used, however.
  • Also, I would like less slouchiness, which is a reflection of fabric width.
  • And I'd like the opening from the gathered edge to be less open.
  • I like that it can cover my ears (something my current knitted cap doesn't do).

Changes to make
  • A little longer and narrowier on the loom
  • Wool for warmth and stretchiness
  • A colorful warp for more colorful braided fringe.

The braided fringe is a very fun feature. I can see using beads, bells, feathers, or charms braided in for a dressier look. 

Once again, sampling pays off.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

What a fun project! I think the hats would take good advantage of handspun and make unique gifts, both with and without a 'ponytail hole.'

Leigh said...

Michelle, very fun! I'm looking forward to going through my handspun and seeing what I come up with. And I think you're right about making them for gifts. I do kind of like enough of an opening for a ponytail hole and think it would work great with the fringe worn on the side.