Thursday, June 20, 2024

Samples Finished

The samples are off the table loom, hand washed, line dried, and pressed.

Notes
  • Yarn: 10/2 cotton
  • Sett: 30 e.p.i.
  • Width in reed: 5 and 1/2 inches
  • Width off loom: 4 and 7/8 inches
  • Width after washing and pressing: 4 and 3/4
  • Drafts and on-loom samples in this post, Following Ideas
I tried four ideas, and so have four samples.

Originally "Chain of Hearts," which quickly became "Pumpkin Heads"

Pumpkin Head Plaid

The next two used a different treadling.

"Circle and Cross?" Or "Xs?" My eye wants to focus on the Xs.

That one seemed to work better as a plaid because my eye is clearly drawn to the circles and crosses. The only difference between this one and the one above is the color stripes in the weft.

Circle and Cross Plaid

What was curious about this last sample, is that after washing and drying, I discovered that the fabric puckered.

Before pressing

Some sort of differential shrinkage, but this was the only sample to do this. I think the pattern has potential, but I don't think it would be considered "easy care." Or maybe it's a design feature (???)

For now, I'm just keeping them within viewing range, to see if further inspiration strikes.

3 comments:

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

I love the pumpkins! Seem very seasonal.

Michelle said...

I love the last one, even puckered – looks like a wonderfully thirsty kitchen towel!

Leigh said...

TB, the pumpkin heads definitely have a place! Would make a fun halloween fabric.

Michelle, thank you for that! People aren't likely to iron kitchen towels, so thirsty puckered sounds good.