Sunday, February 18, 2024

Saori Su-chan Wool Cap

Done! The modifications I made from my sample cap were happily spot on.

Project Particulars

  • Warp: commercial 2/3 Shetland wool
  • Weft: 
    • handspun North Ronaldsay wool (natural colors)
    • handspun Border Leicester wool (dyed in shades of blue)
  • Sett: 12 e.p.i.
  • 156 warp ends
  • Structure: plain weave
  • Project length
    • on loom: 28 inches
    • after wet finishing: 24 inches
  • Project width
    • on loom: 13 inches
    • after wet finishing: 12 inches
The inconsistencies of the handspun gave the fabric a lovely texture. 

Construction Notes
  • During wet finishing, I worked the fabric to full it a bit.
  • Then, I followed the same construction steps as I did for the sample cap.
  • The problem was that fulling bonded the fibers so that I couldn't gather the fabric on three warp threads. It was stuck together. 
  • My solution was to use a running stitch with a length of the handspun and use this to gather the fabric. That solved the problem.
The Su-chan cap is technically supposed to be a no-sew design.
Not sure if that running stitch counts as sewing or not!

The cap fits well, is warm, and covers my ears. Perfect for our frosty winter mornings.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Hmm; what are other possible solutions to the fulling problem? Using something that wouldn't felt for the first three strands of warp? Fulling after assembly? Love the hat; thinking ahead to when I try my own.

Leigh said...

Michelle, those are some good ideas. I think either would work and would make for good experiments. Not sure if I'll make another one, although one with longer braided fringe would look kinda cool, I think.

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

Looks great Leigh! Well done!

Leigh said...

Thanks, TB!