Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Su-chan Cap: Fabric Off the Loom


The cloth is off the loom and the next step will be to wash and full it a bit. I don't want to mess up the long fringes to be braided, so that will need a bit of care. Then I can construct the cap.

Weaving Notes & Observations
  • The finer wool yarn I used for warp wasn't the best choice for this purpose.
    • I knew that would be the case.
    • I knew I'd probably have to do a lot of warp repairs.
    • But I only ended up with five breakages, fewer than I anticipated.
  • The Saori philosophy of embracing mistakes served me well.
    • I threaded the loom for plain weave, and discovered a threading error.
    • I also had a few skipped warp threads due to the stickiness of the wool.
    • That gave me occasional 3-thread floats. 
    • In the spirit of Saori, I did not fret over these and left them.
    • Mistakes and errors are the badges of honor which cry out, "A human made me!"
  • Frequent weft changes created rustic selvedges, which I like.


Conclusion

When I started planning for this simple project, I thought I wasn't really going to do Saori weaving because I don't have a Saori loom. Nor did I start with a very good understanding of what Saori weaving is. While I was having fun with it, I found myself turning to the Saori precepts I had read. I think what I realized, is that it's not the weaving that makes it Saori, it's the philosophy. A philosophy that I see can serve me well.

I think perhaps this one-time experiment in the world of Saori weaving will not be my last. 

2 comments:

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

I really like the color and patterns on this, Leigh!

Leigh said...

Thank you, TB! It's fun when something turns out well. :)