Here it is....
The blanket is complete. After washing it measures 39.5 by 53.5 inches plus 4 inches of fringe at either end. The threading was a straight twill, which meant I simply threaded each shaft in turn, 1 through 8. I treadled from 1 to 8 and back to 1 again, repeating to make the twill zig zags. I used a worsted weight 4-ply knitting yarn sett at 8 ends per inch.
Here is a closer view, so that you can see how the variegated weft yarn turned out.....
Basically, the colors matched up on both edges, but in the center of the blanket, each weft pick is a different color, creating a more speckled effect. The strangest thing to me was the way the zig zags turned out. I expected them to be solid colors from left to right and back again. But look at them .....
Where the zig meets the zag on the lefthand side, two different warp colors are picked up, so that they are not solid lines of color! This was very puzzling because my threading.....
.... changed color with the first shaft. So I had 1 - 8 in orange, 1 - 8 in green, 1 - 8 in brown, repeat. Obviously I did not do a drawdown!
So I've accomplished something and have something to investigate. (For what I discovered, see Mystery of the Twill Zig Zags.)
Although I have to admit that the colors and overall effect of the blanket are not what I would choose for myself, I am not dissatisfied with it as a first project on my Glimakra loom.
Posted 18 July 2007 at http://leighsfiberjournal.blogspot.com
Twills - The Basics
Warping the Glimakra:
.....Adjusting the Loom With Texsolv
.....Winding On the Warp
.....Tying Up the Treadles
.....The 3 Duhs
.....Adjusting the Shed
Mystery of the Twill Zig Zags