Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Rare Breed Sweater - The Home Stretch

The home stretch ................ or at least I hope it is.

Over the weekend we had a chilly snap, so I worked on weaving in loose ends of yarn (of which there seemed a gazzillion) and sewing Rare Breed Sweater pieces together.

RBS getting sewn together.I have to admit that warm weather usually dampens my enthusiasm for large knitting projects, but the frosty mornings and brisk north wind all day were perfect for having a knitted sweater on my lap.

I have the fronts loosely pinned together with t-pins in the photo below, so you can get an idea of how it's looking.

All the pieces fit!  Yay!I was so relieved that all the pieces fitted perfectly, especially the sleeves!

What's needed now is the front and neck bands. I have to admit that I've been dragging my feet over this because I haven't completely settled on how I'm going to do this. I'm not sure of solid white bands in front because of the stripes of green. I'm not sure of trying some patterning, as I've never done this on sweater bands before. I will probably spend some time thinking about this.

Hopefully they will go better than the front bands on this sweater did. For some reason I had a heck of a time getting the pick-up right on that sweater! I can't tell you how many times I had to re-do it before I was satisfied. Even though I re-learned to knit about a decade ago, I'm so slow that I honestly can't say I've progressed to much more than an intermediate knitter.

And then there's finding buttons. Something sheepy I think? Decisions, decisions!!!!

9 comments:

Woolly Bits said...

I meant "seam", not seem:)

Woolly Bits said...

hi Leigh,

my first comment went awry.... anyway, I like your RBS a lot - esp. the little spotted sheep:) and for buttons you could have a look at injabulo.com, they have cute ceramic sheep. for a rib - you could pick up stitches in green, knit stocking stitch and add those little "bird shapes" from the main part, in white this time? double it up and sew it to the inside, gives a nice stable border. and I sometimes have to fiddle to find the right rib too - even though I have been knitting for a very long time!
and if you wish for a dye garden - be prepared to have less time for knitting or spinning:))

Anonymous said...

Hi Leigh,

Your sweater is really looking lovely and oh so close to being done. I love Bettina's suggestion of reversing the dot pattern from the body of the sweater. A reasonable rule of thumb for picking up stitches is 2 sts. for every 3 rows. I think I read it in one of the EZ books and it has served me well.

Tricia

Spindlers2 said...

That is *such* a gorgeous sweater!

Carol

Willington Weaver said...

Leigh, what a fabulous sweater!

Alison

vlb5757 said...

Wow! What a lovely sweater. You did such a nice job getting everything to line up nicely.

Cathy said...

Wow - it's looking great! What a fantastic job you've done. Good luck with the bands!!

Jackie said...

Wow! I am so impressed! Good luck with figuring out what to do with the bands. I wish that I could offer advice, But I'm ecstatic when I finish a sock.

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely a BEAUTIFUL sweater.