Sunday, September 01, 2024

Natural Dyeing: Hardy Hibiscus (Without Mordant)


Previously, I showed you my results from dyeing with hardy hibiscus flowers using alum and cream of tartar mordant. Jenny Dean's Wild Color says it can be used without mordant, so that was next.  

I followed the same procedure as hibiscus dyeing with mordant, but I kept a closer eye on time and temperature. I also decreased the amount of flowers and fiber to four ounces each. It was easier to collect that amount and keep the flowers fresh in the fridge while I collected. 

Preparing the dyebath
  • Pour boiling water over the flowers
  • Bring to a simmer
  • Simmer flowers for about 30 minutes.
  • Strain

Dyeing the fiber

lovely color in the dyepot
  • Add the wet, unmordanted fiber
  • Heat to a simmer
  • Simmer 30 to 60 minutes
  • Let steep overnight as it cools 

The Results

This is after washing and drying.


Does it even look like there's a color change? It's hard to tell! Below is a comparison of undyed and hibsicus dyed samples from both experiments. The undyed sample is in the middle.

Left: hibiscus with mordant. Center: undyed. Right: hibiscus without mordant.

Interesting, considering how much color was left in the exhausted dyepot. 

exhausted dyepot after dyeing

I'll also mention that I washed the two samples with different soaps because hibiscus is supposed to be pH sensitive. For the mordanted fiber, I used soap berries. For the non-mordanted dye experiment, I used EOS unscented dishwashing liquid. The difference is in pH. Soap berries are slightly acidic, and dishwashing liquids are slightly alkaline. I can't say I see that it made a difference in the final color of the fiber samples compared to the color before washing. 

Analysis

Supposedly, hibiscus flowers dye animal fibers shades of purple. I had no such luck. Of the possible factors I mentioned last time, I can eliminate temperature and time. All other factors remain as possibilities. Gray is a natural fiber color, so I thought it was a lot of work for the color results. 

Different mordants might make a difference in the color results, as might after dips. Bit for now, so much for dyeing with hibiscus flowers. 

2 comments:

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

Leigh, I feel like sometimes you win, sometimes you lose? If it is of any comfort, cheese and yogurt making here in New Home 2.0 is significantly different than in New Home. I am still working it out.

Leigh said...

TB, people who like predictable results tend to go more for commercial dyes.

Interesting about your cheese and yogurt making! Working with living foods is challenging anyway, but I never thought about location as one of the variable factors.