Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Bathroom Rag Rug: Takeaways

From a utilitarian perspective, my bathroom t-shirt rag rug was a fail. From an information gathering perspective, I'd call it very useful. 

(how it looked before the washing wonkiness)

I think this would have made a good little rug, had it not been for the differential shrinkage of my different colors of t-shirt yarn. Likely, I can find a use for it, but my takeaways need to focus on what I can learn from it.

The structure is crackle, which I've been exploring this year. I like the potential I see in this particular pattern, and am thinking it may be a candidate for dining room curtain fabric. In the meantime, I have t-shirt yarn leftover, and would like to see if I can tweak things a bit and explore some of the questions in my mind. I'm considering what to do next, but for now, it won't be another rug. 

What I liked:
  • I did like the way the wide bands of color worked out. Not what I would have planned, but I liked it. The colors were chosen from our bathroom stained glass window, so I'm happy with them
  • Adding my extra warp ends to the selvedge blocks worked well. These often look narrower due to draw-in, but they appear to be the same width as the rest of the pattern blocks.

Things I'd like to explore further:
  • Motif shape and color
    • Shape. I'd like the motif to be squared up. Even though I decreased the number of weft shots the recipe called for, the motif is still elongated. I could either decrease the weft shots further, but I'd like to try a finer tabby yarn. 
    • Color. Maybe try warping each motif in its own color or warping each block in a different color. Repeat with the pattern weft. With crackle, a different color tabby can add more color interest too.
  • Fabric density. This was satisfactory after shrinkage (except for the orange t-shirt weft), but I'd like to see what a tighter sett would do.
So, my takeaways are exploratory, and I think I have a project for that. As far as a new bathroom rug, that will have to wait for a different inspiration to strike.

2 comments:

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

We never fail; we only have opportunities to learn.

Leigh said...

TB, that's exactly it. Similar to another fiber arts saying, "it isn't a mistake, it's a design element." :)

Even if I thought the rug was serviceable, I would have still had "what ifs!" And I would have followed them, even in the light of "success." That's what makes weaving so fascinating.