Monday, August 19, 2024

Bathroom Rag Rug: Draft & Calculations For Warping

I got the brown rug warp I decided on and then started on my calculations for warping my table loom. My 10-dent reed is 23.25 inches wide, so at most I could thread 230 warp ends, with two dents left over for floating selvedges. I had to figure out how to fit the threading draft to this, to make sure the pattern look on the rug looks symmetrical. 

The Recipe Book gives this for the threading: 

Read right to left

Motif
This is one complete motif. Fortunately, the Recipe Book PDF includes WIF files, so I was able to have a drawdown draft without having to work it out myself.

Two repeats of the motif would be 212 warp ends. Subtract that from 230, and I have 18 extra dents, 9 on each side. Should I leave them empty and make a narrower rug? Add a border? Or, widen the edge blocks to compensate for draw-in, which always makes the motif narrower on the sides. I decided to simply repeat the beginning and ending threading, to "fatten" the blocks on the edges. 

With that decided, the warp was measured and the reed sleyed, so the next step will be threading the heddles. 

Here's the draft straight from the Recipe Book WIF file, tweaked for color, but without the extra threading on the selvedges. Tabby shots will square up the blocks.

You can click to enlarge.

In other weaving news, Dan has informed me that the next phase of his project will be dustless. So I can take the dust covers off my floor loom and resume weaving on the lap robe. Weaving on it is a relaxing way to spend a 30-minute break, so I'm glad to start working on it again. 

2 comments:

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

Leigh, getting the education I am from all of this, I am now excited to see what the product from these designs will look like. I am not good at visualizing such things.

Leigh said...

TB, I confess I'm not very good at translating a mental idea to a real object. So it's always a surprise. Like the chain of hearts that ended up being alien pumpkin heads. That's why sampling is so important. :)