Thursday, August 15, 2024

Natural Dyeing: Black-Eyed Susans, Part 1

The dyeing bug has bitten. It was my successful pokeberry dyeing experiment that did it. In pouring over my several natural dyeing books, I realized that I have a lot of free dyestuffs growing on our property, and that I'd better get a move-on because fresh plants work best but our growing season is getting late in its offerings. I've missed out on some things, but I still have a lot to experiment with. 

One thing I wanted to try was black-eyed susans. 

Black-eyed Susans, Rudbeckia species

According to the books, different parts of the plant give different colors. I decided to focus on the flowers, which are said to make an olive green with a sufficiently strong dye bath. That means a high ratio of dyestuff to fiber and giving it long simmering and soaking times. A weak dyebath is said to yield tan. From reading others experiences, however, this all isn't a guarantee, so I'll just have to give it a go and see what I get. The first step (part 1) is to make the dyebath. 

Day 1: Making the dyebath (Days 1 - 4)

  • Dyebath amounts:
    • 1 pound flowers (for half-pound of fiber)
    • 1.5 - 2 gallons boiling water
  • Pour the boiling water over the flowers and let steep overnight.
Note: my actual steep time was about 24 hours.

Day 2

  • Bring to a full boil
  • Boil (not simmer) for one or two hours
  • Let cool overnight
Confession! The pot was boiling nicely when I went outside to do some things. When I came back in, almost all of the water had boiled out! Fortunately, it didn't burn, and I immediately poured in two more kettlesful of boiling water. Now I'm uncertain about the color, but I'm going ahead to experiment. Hopefully, I'll still get something nice!

Day 3
  • Bring back to a boil
  • Simmer for several hours
  • Cool overnight

Day 4


  • Strain out the flowers
  • Ready to dye.

2 comments:

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

Fascinating Leigh. I would have never thought to use such flowers.

Leigh said...

TB, neither would I, except for my natural dyeing books. :)