Friday, October 04, 2024

Weaving Stool Cushion: Weaving (& Thinking Ahead)

Weaving is progressing well. 

The fabric is under tension on the loom so it's hard to tell for sure, but I think my changes are going to work well:

  • tighter sett (12 instead of 10 e.p.i.)
  • different tabby weft (8/4 "rug warp" instead of 4-ply crochet cotton)
The 8/4 isn't what I originally planned to use. But crackle is traditionally used for upholstery fabric, and I reckoned the sturdiest yarns for a stool cushion would wear better. 

I discovered that I made a threading error, so that the pattern isn't turning out like the original recipe. I switched two of the blocks. For the fabric's purpose, it really doesn't matter. The colors aren't terribly interesting, but I they are serviceable for the purpose. 

As I weave, I can't help but think of the bathroom rag rug. I still want to weave one and I'm wondering if I should try this particular recipe once more. I'm filled with numerous "what if I tried . . . " as I weave, and part of me wants to conquer it. On the other, I wouldn't mind trying something new.

At any rate, the fabric will be off the loom soon, and then I'll have to learn how to make a permanent  cushion for my weaving stool.


Related posts

No comments: