Wednesday, July 03, 2024

Dornik Herringbone Throw Rug: Almost Done!

It's off the loom and I'm twisting the fringe. 


As I'm working, I'm thinking about what else I can do with the remnant of the threaded warp. 

The first thing I'd like to do, is to tie on for a lap robe as a gift for someone in an assisted living situation. I can make it the same width, but not so long. I have some pretty yarns to work with and I think it will make a nice gift.

I'm also thinking about make a runner rug with the same threading. It will be narrower and treadled differently, because I'm curious about this . . .


. . . as a possible design feature.

This occurs because where the herringbone diagonals reverses direction, the warp ends are threaded on shafts 4 and 8. 


The reason for this is to prevent long skips in the pattern. The doubled warp threads aren't noticeable in the herringbone pattern, but really stand out in the plain weave header. 

My thought at the moment is to thread this doubled warp with the sage green, and the rest with the variegated white. Use the same variegated yarn as weft, treadle for plain weave, and I should have a cross hatch design with long green stripes. I'd have a coordinated runner rug in the same colors, while getting to play around a bit with a "what if."

So that's the plan at the moment. I'll weave the lap robe next because it will be the same width. The runner will be after that because I'll make it narrower than the throw rug. 

2 comments:

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

It looks great, Leigh.

I am a big fan of lap rugs for assisted living. My parents both always had blankets on their laps in their latter years.

Leigh said...

TB, that's good feedback, thanks. I'm guessing metabolism slows down and so it's easier to feel chilly. I like for my weaving to be useful. :)