Wednesday, October 29, 2008

S&W Samples 1: Traditional Treadlings

By Leigh

These samples differ somewhat from my first experience with summer & winter because of my loom. The treadling patterns are the same, but now I am able to experiment with more blocks because I have more shafts.

All of these were threaded for a 3-block summer & winter on five shafts. For each sample I tried a different treadling, as you can see.

3-block S&W in brick patternThis sample alternates the pattern sheds in a 1 - 2 - 1 - 2 sequence.

3-block S&W in O's patternThis one treadles the pattern sheds in a 1 - 2 - 2 - 1 order.

3-block S&W in X's patternThis is a 2 - 1 - 1 - 2 treadling sequence.

3-block S&W in dukagång patternThis one treadles only one pattern shed per block, 1 - 1 - 1 - 1.

The other thing that has been different has been the skeleton tie-up. It has meant having to use both feet for the pattern sheds, so I was slow at first. I did gain some speed as I became more comfortable with the treadling.

One thing I figured out was that it would be easier to keep track of the treadling sequence if I had tied up both the tabby and tie-down shafts on one side, so that instead of this .......

Countermarche skeleton tie-up.... the treadles were tied like this ......

revised CM  skeleton tie-upThe alternating pattern & tabby treadling alternates both feet with one foot. With the second tie-up, I could leave my right foot on the pattern shed, and use the left to alternate between the tabbies and tie-down shafts. It would be easier to keep track of the pattern treadle that way!

If you're like me, then that probably didn't make sense, but it will if you ever have to do it! In the end, experience really is the best teacher; for my next S&W warp, I'm definitely going to change the tie-up.

Posted 29 Oct. 2008 at

Related Posts:
Summer & Winter: 1st Dishtowels
Summer & Winter: Treadling
S&W Samples 2: Tabby Treadling Order
Skeleton Tie-Ups for Countermarche Looms


Dorothy said...

One foot for tabby & tie down, one for pattern, I can see the sense of that. But I think you just have to try different things and see how they work in practice.

For now - the photos show you are getting that skeleton tie-up working, this is a good result!

Leigh said...

It's definitely working and I'm pleased with the results. Cally tried a different skeleton tie-up for her S&W, putting the tabbies in the center. I've been thinking about the entire time I've been weaving these samples, wondering how to make the treadling a little easier. I don't think there's any way to "walk the treadles" when I'm alternating 1 foot - 2 feet. I'm curious to try this revised tie-up with the tabbies on the other side. Only experience will tell if it's a better option for me.