OK. I thought everything was going well. My first warp on this loom had been successful, so I had every reason to believe that this one would be even better. Winding on the warp on had gone well and I was ready for the next step: tying up the treadles.
I reviewed the Glimakra set-up video. I re-read Tying Up the Countermarche Loom. I borrowed a nifty idea from Dorothy.....
.... a put a box under the treadles to support them while tying them up. Very helpful! Not only was it easier to reach under the treadles, but it gave me a height to aim for while tying them up.
Happily, the tie up went much quicker than the first time. The first time took me all day. This time it only took about two hours.
Then I took out the locking pins. These hold the shafts in place while the loom is being warped, threaded, and tied up. This is the "Before" photo of the shafts before I took the pins out.....
(Shaft number 8 is bowed and does ride higher.)
And this is the "After" shot...
Notice anything different? They all (except #8) sank!!! They aren't supposed to do this! I couldn't believe it! This didn't happen the first time! I wanted to scream and pull my hair out. But instead, I reminded myself that I always learn more from my problems and mistakes, than from just happening to get a thing right. I was so frustrated at that point, that I decided to sleep on it and try again with a rested mind.
The next day I put the locking pins back in and shifted into problem solving mode. I started at the top of the loom and worked my way down, noting that the warp was centered in the heddle eyes, the upper lamms were slightly elevated at the open end, and that the lower lamms were parallel to the floor.
Next, I re-read Dorothy's "Treadles Again and A Few Inches Woven" post. This time I took notes so I could remember her rules for tying up the treadles and tried to think them through as I followed them. When I finished my adjustments, I held my breath and pulled out the locking pins again. This time they stayed. What a relief!
Next will be to weave about an inch or so of plain weave and then check and adjust the shed.
After that, I can actually start weaving!