Sunday, October 31, 2010

Mystery Fiber Revealed

There were a lot of really good guesses to my "guess the mystery fiber" question. Nobody got it, but I have to confess that I wouldn't have either. The source of the fiber is ....


This is Baby, one of my goats. She is a Boer/Nubian cross. Boers are raised as meat goats, while Nubians are dairy. Spinners know that goat fiber comes from angoras, pygoras (angora/pygmy cross), or cashmere goats. But a goat like Baby???

Here's what I discovered about Baby.


Earlier this month she started growing a down coat. Neither of my pure blooded Nubians are growing one, so I'm guessing this is the Boer genes in her. This was the mystery fiber, which I hand plucked, just a little bit because I was so curious about it. She didn't have it when I first got her last May, so I'm guessing she'll shed it sometime in the spring. I will have to try to comb it out then and spin it. I'm very curious about what kind of yarn it will make!

Thanks for guessing!

Mystery Fiber Revealed © 31 October 2010 by Leigh at Leigh's Fiber Journal

5 comments:

Woolly Bits said...

that's funny:)) I wonder how she'll like the brushing! so now she is a multi-purpose animal?:))

Laura said...

Boer goats have more than a bit of cashmere blood in them - and some of them are worth combing for it.

Looks like you have a bonus fiber animal!

Leigh said...

Bettina, it's funny isn't it. All I got her for was a brush goat. No pun intended, she is supposed to eat brush LOL.

Laura, thanks for that tidbit. I didn't know that about Boers. No wonder. I'll just have to wait and see about quality. I'm very curious about it though.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the spinning results.

Linda said...

I bought a Nigora goat this summer. She is soooo soft! I am looking forward to spinning her wool next spring.

Linda