My waffle weave fabric is finally off the loom, washed, dried, and ready to be cut and sewn into towels.
I used 10/2 unmercerized cotton, sett is 30 epi. That weaves up into a nice thirsty feeling fabric. You may recall that this is for a towel exchange withing the Western North Carolina Fiber/Handweavers Guild. You may also recall that I got the stripe pattern .....
.... from a barcode of the Guild's initials. I think it translated quite well.
The finished towel size for the exchange is to be 18 by 24 inches. I figured the width in the loom based on my sample, which had a draw-in and shrinkage of about 30%. After weaving a bit on the towels, I recalculated, and was worried that the finished fabric would be too narrow. That's when I came up with a way to widen the warp on the loom (that post here.) OK. That slowed me down a bit until the added warp sticks were firmly wound onto the cloth beam.
Ironically, the wet finished cloth now off the loom measures 19 inches in width. The original 10 inches that I wove on this warp (the one I thought would be too narrow), is 18 inches! So I had it right the first time.
So. I'm just going to chalk this one up to "lessons learned." :)
Posted 29 Aug 2008 at http://leighsfiberjournal.blogspot.com
Light Bulb Moments with Waffle Weave
Barcode Waffle Weave Update
List of all my Waffle Weave posts