Thursday, November 15, 2007

A Fawn Shetland Sample

This next sample of Shetland fleece, Cathy had labeled "fawn." When I first examined it, I was puzzled at this. If it was fawn, it was a very light one, but it didn't look like the other fawn Shetland samples. In those, the individual fibers themselves were colored.

Clean fawn fleece on the right.
This fawn sample (on the right) appeared white with cream tips, and had black and reddish-brown fibers scattered throughout. These darker fibers were much coarser than the white/cream. I was curious about this coloring, but couldn't find it listed on the Shetland colors and patterns resources I've been using.

2 samples of clean staples from the same fleece.
The staples were from four to six inches in length, with one to four crimps per inch. There was a very nice luster to the fleece.

I had washed this sample along with the last one I posted about (which is the white one on the left in the top photo) and it was fluffy and clean and ready to drumcard. The fleece was open, but full of vegetable matter. I ran it through the drumcarder twice, and then the batts were ready to spin.

The particulars:
* Weight of clean fiber - 4.5 ounces
* Wheel - Kromski Minstrel double drive
* Ratio - 8.5 to 1
* Twist angle - 28ยบ
* Singles - 30 WPI
* 2-ply - 15 WPI
* Weight of yarn - 4.5 ounces
* Yardage - 248.75 yards

The dime shot.
The color of the yarn actually looks more to me like a warm grey than fawn (photo only semi-accurate). Fortunately there won't be a test on this! I'm just happy to be getting a nice variety of Shetland colors for some project in the near future.

© 2007 Leigh's Fiber Journal

6 comments:

Cathy said...

That may be a Shetland/corridale cross (lamb?).

July was busy with the 60 some fleeces and sorting them. I know I ran out of energy and probably did some guessing. I just finished washing and dyeing the last of those fleeces to take to Red Barn Fiber Processor (yesterday).

It's been wonderful reading your posts about the samples. Thank you for taking the time to share. I have learned a lot about one of my favorite breeds (rambouillet is the other)

cyndy said...

I echo Cathy in thanking you for these posts about the samples. It is a learning experience for me, and I enjoy reading the details of the things you notice!

You are compiling a fine collection of Shetlands!--it will be just as interesting to see what project will develop!

Sharon said...

More absolutely gorgeous yarn. I too look forward to seeing what it grows up to be.

Helen said...

Hi Leigh, the Shetland looks gorgeous and your yarn evenmore so. I am just washing a shetland /Ryeland cross at the moment but is nothing like as open as your shetland. I am interested that you are drum carding it, although this explains why your yarn is so even
Helen really enjoying this new eperience of surfing the blogs

shepherdchik said...

I LOVE you scientific/mathematical approach to fiber! Very informative. I have several shetlands that are fawn, I'll have to look more closely at the fiber, I think some of them might have those grey and red fibers in them too.

Leigh said...

Shepherdchik, I would love to know what you find! I find the whole area of color fascinating.