At last, I have started weaving. At times it seemed as though I'd never get to this point, but it finally arrived. After all my hard work on the warping and adjusting, I was very curious as to how the weaving would go.
My project, you may remember, is a child's blanket for Project Linus. Since there was a request for larger blankets for boys, I tried to pick my colors accordingly. The blankets also have to be machine washable, so I chose good old Red Heart yarn.
For some reason, I am always drawn to space dyed type yarns. I don't know why, but the color variations always intrigue me. I eventually chose the one on the right for my weft, because it was the only colorway for which I could find solids to match. Evidently, these yarns are expected to be used by themselves, but I did find orange, brown, and green yarns close enough to use for warp stripes.
Although awkward at this point, weaving is going well. I am learning how hold back the beater as I throw the shuttle. The narrow treadles hang loosely and close together, so it is difficult to keep track of my treadling, even though it is a simple straight pattern. Also I have to learn when to advance the beater as my weaving progresses, and then remember to do it!
I think it will be awhile before I get any sort of rhythm going, but tension is good, the fell is straight and my selvedges are acceptable.
Ironically, after all my fuss and worry over getting the treadles tied up correctly, (see duh#3) I discover that I am looking at weft faced zig-zags while I weave. They were supposed to be warp faced which are of course, on the bottom! Ah well, if that's the least of my problems, then I won't complain.
I realize that I still have things to learn about this loom and that further adjustments could be made. But I've gotten started and there's no stopping me now.