Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Tablet Weaving: Oseberg 12L1

Oseberg 12L1 is an ancient tablet weaving pattern. It was one of at least 10 tablet woven bands discovered in 1904 during an archaeological dig at Oseberg Farm in Norway. Finds from that dig have been dated to around 834 AD. It's a fairly simple design, and is featured in the first episode of Weave Along with Elewys. It seemed like a good place to start.

The Pattern

There are several variations of Oseberg 12L1 around the internet, but I'm using the one from Elewys's blog, Lady Elewys of Finchingefeld, JdL, GdS. She has several variations with different numbers of colors, but I want to start as simply as possible and so chose this one, with only two colors. 

Credit: Lady Elewys of Finchingefeld

My previous blog post, Tablet Weaving Notes, explains how to read the pattern and thread the tablets.

Yarn

Lion Brand's Coboo, a cotton / bamboo rayon blend knitting yarn.
I substituted a dark blue for the green in the pattern and light green for the yellow.

My finished band

Not perfect; my lines are wavy! But better than my first practice band!


What I learned
  • From the video I learned that the little bumps on the selvedges are from changing tablet direction. this is just the way it is, i.e. not something I can correct.
  • When to change direction of the cards is arbitrary. It's just as well to continue turning in the same direction until the twist in the warp builds up too much.
  • The backstrap method is hard on my back.

Observations

  • This pattern was a good choice for a first tablet weaving because it has only 10 tablets, 2 colors, and the tablets all turn the same direction. 
  • I need to practice on my tension and selvedges.
  • The yarn held up well, but at the end of the band it had the slightest abrasion from the holes in the cards.
  • If I do a lot of this, I'd like an alternative to the backstrap method.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really good for a new band weaver. Nice job! There is an option to not have the bumps, and that is to not change the direction of the cards for the border. To do that, you need another way to get rid of the twist build up for those threads, you can use fishing swivels (or something similar) to do that. I look forward to seeing more of your bands.

Leigh said...

Thank you! It was much more challenging than I thought it would be.

I will have to look into the fishing swivel idea. Not having to deal with the twist build up would be wonderful.