I was interested in these, because they use the same primaries I am using in own experiments. In looking at the chart, I focused in on a blue similar to my target blue.
Out of curiosity, I plugged these percentages into the Dye Mixer Applet, and compared it to the target blue on my blog post.
(You can click on the above image to enlarge if you wish.) These looked close enough that I grabbed a screenshot, and then analyzed both colors in The GIMP.
Now, you don't have to be a computer geek to compare those numbers for both colors. As you can see, they're pretty darn close. Close enough in fact, that I couldn't resist giving Dreamline's recipe a try. I made a dyebath using:
- 9 parts turquoise MX-G
- 1 part red MX-5B
Surprise! Purple! (?!?!???) Needless to say, I was exceptionally puzzled. I knew that my proportions were correct, and that I followed the process correctly, so there must be something else at work. Off for another round of research.
This exercise also left me questioning the validity of my first hex code samples, also too purple ....
... which you can read about in "Computer Hex Code Dyeing 3: 1st Samples - No Joy."
So I started researching Procion MX fuchsia and turquoise dyes, and have learned some helpful and interesting things. I'm putting what I've learned in a separate posts, which you can see by either clicking on the color names above (opens new window) or under "Related Posts" below (uses same window).
This is definitely an adventure.
Procion MX Fuchsia
Procion MX Turquoise