Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Siamese Sleeves Done!

By Leigh

I'm even amazed at this myself, because usually once hot weather arrives, I tend to abandon sweater knitting. But here they are:

2 sleeves in one.
The sleeves for my Shetland Sampler Cardigan. One of the steeks goes right up the center in this shot.

For some reason, it seemed that this was faster than knitting the two sleeves separately. This must be psychological, as I had to knit the same number of stitches either way.

Besides ripping out those two dark colors that I knitted too close together, I made one other color adjustment:


The two browns just didn't have enough contrast for that section of the pattern. Embroidering over the old stitches was quick and easy.

I'm not going to cut them apart until I finish the body of the sweater, which is knitted a little beyond the bottom of the sleeve opening. Then I'll do all the cutting and sewing at the same time. After I put all the pieces together, I'll do the cuffs and bands. The end if almost in sight.


Related posts:
A Contemplation On Knitting Sleeves - Which method?
Ready to Start Those Sleeves - Discovering Siamese Sleeves
Starting the Sleeves - Sleeve Increase Calculator
Technically Not Fair Isle - Defining Fair Isle Knitting
SSC Sleeves & Cuffs
Shetland Sampler Cardigan Complete!

12 comments:

Julie said...

Your sleeves look great! I would have never thought of embroidering over the old stitches.

bspinner said...

Great Job!!!! I am so impressed with the embroidering over the old stitches.

Laritza said...

Amazing! I can't wait to get to my Shetland batts and knit mine. Beautiful work you have done.

Sheepish Annie said...

Hard to believe that started out as a sheep...

Lovely work!!!

Sharon said...

It's a treat to see all those fleece colors come together. What a wonderful breed the Shetland is and you do such justice to their colors. I can't type the "ahhh" that I said then I saw your sleeve but I know you know what I mean~

Anonymous said...

No pressure, but I can't wait to see the completed sweater. All of the attention to detail that you are putting into it is fantastic. It never would have occurred to me to do a duplicate stitch in a sweater because I didn't like the color combo in that section. Great!

Meg said...

Goodness me, I'm so glad I only weave! But this would be such a fun one to wear and show off!!

Wool Enough said...

Gorgeous sleeves. I drooled over the picture for quite some while.

And, you know, it might actually BE faster to knit them like that, because your mind only has to assimilate each pattern row once instead of gearing up and going through the process all over again for the second sleeve.

Leigh said...

I hadn't thought of it like that, Wool Enough, but you're right! This method is definitely a "keeper."

As far as embroidering over the old stitches goes Ya'll, it was definitely preferable to the aternative!

Dorothy said...

I'm impressed by that embroidery fix. That's a new one for me. The sleeves look superb.

Here I am reading blogs and I should be weaving.... must go now ;)

Kyle William said...

serious sleeves - wow! can't wait to see the sweater completed :) - and I LOVE the little bit of bright lime at the hem - not sure if it'll be hidden inside the sweater or if it's "waste yarn" but I LOVE it with the rest of the sweater... I hope it's a hint of awesomeness you have built into your sweater :)

Cathy said...

I thought I left a comment here but you know how it's been....

Love the sleeve fix. I also am intrigued by the sleeve knitting - it would be faster.